Selling 2001 KTM 300 EXC for 2002 400 or 520 EXC

DougM

Oct 12, 2001
I love most of the things about my 300 except for jetting, mixing gas and not having engine compression for going down hill. I also ride with my kids so I have to start and stop alot.

I ride both tight single track in the woods (70%) and Desert (30%). I might try some motocross tracks for practice and fun only. May race Hare Scambles or Hare and Hound races sometime. I just started riding motorcyles and come from Mt Biking. I am 43yrs old and weigh 190lbs and am in good shape. I have learned since Aug to take on most advanced single tracks in Northern CA. I have ridden an XR400 and WR426F. .Loved the Yamaha WR426F but want a electric starter and better built bike.

So what would you guys choose. A 400 EXC or 520 EXC? I'm not real fast but go through a lot of very technical stuff. I understand that the 400 is better for racing and the 520 for recreation and chugging through everything. Tell me what you think on this as well. I'm also getting hooked on desert too. Also how is the power of the KTM 400 and 520 compared to the WR426F?

Note: I got my wife a 2002 XR250R. Good for learning but squirrelly and no power

Look forward to replys

Thanks

trailblazer

~SPONSOR~
Nov 27, 2000
Doug,

I would be happy to discuss the merits of the various KTM choices w/you. send me an email through dirtrider.net for phone #- I live in walnut creek.

"Trailblazer"

PTCruiser

Aug 25, 2000
Sounds like you fit my same scenario to a "T". I finally went 4-stroke with the wr400 for the first time and eventully traded that in for the new EXC400 KTM. The luggability and e-start are great for riding with my kids. Pouring straight gas is sweet too.
The 400 is plenty good enough for the desert(where I do most of my riding) unless you're maybe some serious desert racer. It's easier to ride in the technical trails of Mexico too. On the track I found that it didn't tire me as much as the wr400 either becuase of the linear power-band. It doesn't have the same hard hit as the Yamaha but that actually worked better.

DougM

Oct 12, 2001
Trailblazer,

Your E mail cannot be accessed through Dirtrider.net. I tried. Here is my cell phone # 925 963-8451. I live next to you in Lafayette, CA. Maybe we can ride together too sometime. Let me know what you think on my selling the 300 for a 4 stroke 400 or 520.

Doug

Top Bottom