MadEarthWorm

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2003
Hello all,

I'm looking for a little insight/help. I'm dying to get into the sport of MX; after being a spectator all through high school and college I am now solely responsible for broken or mildly damaged body parts so I am free to get a dirtbike.

The problem is I don't know how to ride and from everything I've been reading, it seems like you should "ride before you buy", especially if you are buying used like I might be. I'm in shape physically (running, basketball etc) and I've raced jetskis so I'm familiar with 2 strokes and safety etc...I also understand how a clutch and all that works since I can drive a stick--it's not the exact same but I get the concept.

I'm in the Washington, D.C. area and I don't know anybody with a ride that could show me the ropes. I tried a couple dealerships (lookin to buy in a couple months) in the MD area but they weren't that helpful.

I thought of just getting a bike (heck, I can't even find a place to buy a trailer for the darn bike) and figuring it out or taking a beginner's lesson and hopefully meeting people at a track or something.

What should I do? Besides moving to CA. hahaha

Thanks for reading my loooong post.

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
I suggest you start hanging out at the local MX track and make some friends. Once they get to know you, someone might be foolish enough to let you loose on their bike after a few tips :)

Better yet, hopefully one of the fine members of DRN lives in your area and will meet up with you to give you some lessons.

Good luck.

B

biglou

I've found 99.9% of the people involved in this sport to be very helpful and patient. Here's what I would do in your position (and I can only hatch this plan because of being in the scene for a few years now, and mostly because of being a member of this site): First, educate yourself as best you can. Decide if you are riding track or trails, or both. Then, find a shop where they treat you with respect, answer your questions without condescending, etc. Then, see if they have a practice area to try out some bikes. Or, see when the guys at the shop are going riding and where. Most of the folks at the shops I frequent do ride and are super nice people. I could imagine any of them extending the offer to at least come hang out with them. Sounds kinda silly, but this is one big family, so almost anyone would be glad to let you tag along and learn and maybe take a spin.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Lou makes some good points. Maybe one of our DC members would step up and volunteer to shepherd you around.

When I got my first bike (32 years ago) it was under similar circumstances. I just got it, didn't know a soul; but after a few months I converted all my buddies to dirt bikers ( to the disgust of their wives :laugh: ) and off we went into the sunset, bouncing off trees and through mud holes learning the ropes.

Now I know all sorts of things about nothing, and am still bouncing off trees, running out of gas (right BB?) and generally having a great time with some of the finest people in the entire world. :yeehaw:

Post a thread searching for DC riders in the Places To Ride / Organized Rides forum.

Also, plan on coming to DirtWeek nest year and you will have a chance to ride almost every bike made.

MadEarthWorm

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2003
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I feel less frustrated now; I will try looking for more shops outside my area since a couple of the ones I went to really sucked. From everything I've read on this forum it really does sound a big family--some fights now and again, but a lot of fun.

I've got a decent amount of knowledge about the sport for being a noob w/o a ride. I want to ride a 125 on track. A 4 stroke might be nice but I am more familiar with 2 strokes.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by MadEarthWorm
From everything I've read on this forum it really does sound a big family--some fights now and again, but a lot of fun.

Originally posted by High Lord Gomer
I'll be up your way next weekend.

OMG ... Gomer representing the family! :laugh:

B

biglou

Haha, well, don't judge us all by Gomer... :p

Just kidding. See how this works? A nicer guy you won't find. And he'd be a great teacher to show you the ropes, if only for a day.
I love these guys. :thumb:

(Did I just say that out loud?!)

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by BigLou
Haha, well, don't judge us all by Gomer... :p

Just kidding. See how this works? A nicer guy you won't find. And he'd be a great teacher to show you the ropes, if only for a day.
I love these guys. :thumb:

(Did I just say that out loud?!)

Awwwwww ... group hug! :thumb:

BTW - Gomer is one of the finest!

MadEarthWorm

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2003
I'll be up your way next weekend. If you want to come over to Easton on Sunday I'll have a YZ250 2 stroke you can try.

Wow, that would be awesome!! Thanks a lot.

Are you talking about the Landing MX park? I've read all about that place at their website; it was one of the places I was going to go for a lesson or three.

This next week of work is gonna be long. About what time are you going to be there? I guess we could work out the details through email.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by taraker
Try going to a Green Peace or Sierra Club meeting and ask them what would be the best bike for riding. :laugh:

Feeling better, Matt?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Don't mind the gimped Texan above (taraker) ... he means well, lol.
Getting a ride with Gomer is a GREAT way to start, he's as good as they get. I'll be more specific. He's as good a person as you'll ever meet, but not the best rider you'll meet :p

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I ride with Gomer weekly and have to say that Okie summed Gomer up about the best as can be. He does suck at riding but unfortunately he is still faster than I am :(

Ivan

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by Okiewan
He's as good a person as you'll ever meet, but not the best rider you'll meet :p
I'll second the 1st part. As far as the 2nd part, I rank him right up there with Rich. I don't think either one of them actually ride :p
Now for the other Texan that posted on this board, I know he rides. How are your injuries coming along Matt? :p

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I just ride slow so you older folks can keep up and get a chance to see proper form in action. If you Texas boys want, we can schedule us a little "non-event" for the next DirtWeek so see just who of us can actually ride. (We might want to do it early in the week, since I've only made it to the end of 1 of 4 DWs still riding). Ironically, one of them I showed up not being able to ride and the other two I crashed due to slower traffic in front of me.

I'm going to be at the Landing from 9:00 till close (4:00). Look for this: http://www.mindspring.com/~mnyland/MH_Left.jpg

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
Holy crap! That's one hell of a bike transporter. If I lived in the U.S. I'd want to be your friend too. :)

I don't even know you personally, and I'd have to agree with the others about you being a nice guy. Good on you H.L.G. Of course that could all change if MadEarthWorm totals your YZ.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Aww, he can't hurt it much. Besides, there's the constant rule of dirtriders that you replace whatever you break.

Poor Ivan never crashes his own bike but always crashes someone elses!

MadEarthWorm

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2003
Aww, he can't hurt it much. Besides, there's the constant rule of dirtriders that you replace whatever you break.

yeah, at 6'2 162 I think I'm going to be the one hurtin--I'll bring the check book just in case :laugh:

Nice rig!

I think it will take me a little over 2 hours to get to Easton; I'll try to be there at 10 if that works.

I already have a helmet and gloves from doin other stuff, what else do I need for my first ride? Should I get boots now or just start off with my NIKE ACG kicks?

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Length is really an issue with MX pants...waist size is what matters. The boots would be cramped, so if you have hiking boots or want to go ahead and buy a pair of MX boots, I'd go for it.

Top Bottom