SERA vs SETRA what are the differences???

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Originally posted by JasonWho
What is the point of racing an enduro and getting on a public road, requiring a license? Do you have to have turn signals and such as well?

Jason,

It take a lot of land to put on enduro.  One of our old enduros was held on 7000 acres.  Many times, this land is not one giant contiguous piece.  So, it becomes necessary to run down a dirt road to conect different sections of trail.  It is possible to set the race up so that you don't have to speed when you are on the road.  You try and save that for in the woods only.

Sometimes you have to go down paved roads too.  Most of the time, you are in rural places where this is not a huge issue.  SERA has been able to avoid the liscense plate to ride.  We have been creative in getting around this.  Some clubs have applied for parade permits from small cities since a parade allows non-street legal vehicles to drive one time on public roads.

Other clubs, have cut deals with the local Sherrifs and police to allow the non-street legal bikes on the road.  It's different everywhere we go.

I have a legit plate for my KDX so it's not big deal.  It requires a little persuasive negotiation with the state to get them to liscense a dirt bike, but it can be done.

BTW, I lost a ton of points in the second section at the Cherokee National because I didn't go in hot.  I figured, this is SETRA, and there will be a check at the first possible just inside the woods.  The check was 5 miles of narly SH** into the woods.  This is where S. Reed smoked all the AA guys.  This was also the beginning of the end of my race.  :scream:

Last edited:

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Originally posted by Unknown Ctrl
...EXTREME Timekeeping does not work for those on the portly side.....

:laugh: :laugh:

Oh, Wait a minute!

:whiner: :whiner:

On a serious note; restarts and check-outs do not an enduro make. It turns into a sort of on-again / off-again hare scramble.

To European for my tastes.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Originally posted by Jon K.

On a serious note; restarts and check-outs do not an enduro make. It turns into a sort of on-again / off-again hare scramble. 

I agree.  When I want to race a hare scramble, I go sign up for a hare scramble not some modified non-enduro.

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
Thanks for the info, TimR. I had never even heard of a restart. That doesn't sound normal compared to what I have read about enduros.

How did you get your bike licensed? Is this a state issue or a county issue? We are both in Alabama, so I am curious. PM me if you want.

'preciate it,
JasonWho

NEMX305

~SPONSOR~
Mar 25, 2001
I was thinking about this thread during the Yellow Leaf hare scramble this weekend. It should be mentioned during the riders meeting, that if you have to stop and rest, DON'T DO IT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE TRAIL! Lapping people on the second lap of the race, and they were just sitting there in the middle of the trail, and made no effort to move. Besides that, everyone was very courteous. Awesome terrain, the event was very well run, and I  have never seen an organization so fast posting results online. It was posted by the time I got out of bed Monday morning. I'm looking forward to going to alot more sera enduro's and hare scrambles.  Tim

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
another way of doing the check-in/check-out type of enduro is to do it the way bjec does it: just call it what it is, a qualifier, & advertise & run it that way. they have a speed average on the trail that is easy to make unless you have a bike or body problem, say 15 mph, then check you into the special test, you go as hard as you can to the check-out, add 'em up, & the guy with the fewest seconds in the tests, wins. i like both, but i prefer the traditional enduros. the timekeeping apparently keeps some guys away, tho, & the qualifier format makes it easier to put on the event with less land & fewer volunteers.

jeremiah397

Oct 1, 2003
THERE ARE BY FAR ALOT MORE FAST RIDERS IN SERA THAN SETRA. LIKE NATHAN AND NOLAN KNIGHT, CLAY BORING, STEPHEN REED. THE LIST GOES ON AND ON. THERE IS ALWAYS A GOOD MATCH-UP BETWEEN SERA AND SETRA. MOST OF THE TIME SERA HAS TO RUN ON SETRA'S TURF WHICH IS VERY ROCKY. YOU GET THE SETRA GUYS TO RUN ON THIS SANDY LOAMY TURF DOWN HERE ITS ALWAYS A VERY GOOD RACE.

Top Bottom