SERA vs SETRA what are the differences???

skabeeb

Nov 28, 2001
At the Rockford enduro four of my buddies who are SERA members joined SETRA.

What are some of the differences between the two organizations?

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
Mainly the differences are they cover different geographic regions. But, there is some overlap with a few races. SETRA has probably 3 times the membership mainly because the larger area they cover and the population in that region. The enduro format for SETRA generally seems to follow the 24 mph start and restart system; sort of what we had at Rockford.
SETRA usually splits their harescramble event into 2 seperate races because of the larger turnout. The rule books for each will have some variation about classes and race drops, etc.
I belong to both but mainly ride SERA because of my location.
That's about all I can think of.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
A couple of additional differences:

1.  SETRA is not AMA sanctioned.  Some of the individual races, are AMA sanctioned, but the series is not.

2.  The SETRA season calendar runs more like a school year than on the Calendar year.  The SETRA season starts the last weekend of August and ends the last weekend of the following May.  They try not to have races in June, July, or August.

3.  SETRA co-sanctions races with SERA, FTR, GNCC, and once or twice a year with Mid-South.

That's all I can think of now.

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by KDXfile
The enduro format for SETRA generally seems to follow the 24 mph start and restart system; sort of what we had at Rockford.

What do you mean by restart? How does that work? I'm just learning about Enduro's and I have never heard the term Restart... What are you restarting? Thanks for you help.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by RTL

What do you mean by restart? How does that work? I'm just learning about Enduro's and I have never heard the term Restart... What are you restarting? Thanks for you help.

The event consist of many "special tests" linked together with connector trail or road. Each section is just like the start of the enduro where you are allowed to take off when your number comes up and race to the final "check out" where points are lost which is usually followed by a reset that gets you back on time and you trail ride to the next section and race again. Sometimes there is a lot of road connector to help you get back on time too.

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Got it. Thanks Fred. I'm hoping to run my first Enduro this year some time. I'm getting to old for MX.. The flying high is just not as appealing as it used to be... I'm ready to reset my suspension to full on trail riding, on the plusher side of things...

Thanks again for your response!

steve lafon

Aug 30, 2000
SETRA is ama sanctioned, all races are ran ama this year, this was changed at the annual meeting this summer !
Setra has 15 enduros this year and most years are the same. they run in Tn
Ga. SC. Alb. Fl. NC.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
SERA guys are a WHOLE LOT FASTER than Setra guys. :p

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Yep; Grizzle done good. He even beat the SETRA champion!

Oh yeah, I forgot, the SETRA champion is a SERA guy!! :yeehaw:

skabeeb

Nov 28, 2001
I liked all the resets and restarts last weekend in Rockford. Is that common for SETRA events? If so, it makes going the distance easier for an old guy like me...

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Originally posted by 121
SETRA has more fast riders than SERA.

Pretty even SETRA / SERA split at Rockford for the the top 20. Dead even for the top ten.

Considering that SETRA has somewhere in the neighborhood of three times the membership of SERA. . . . . that statement could be debated. :p

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
I was talking about the hairscrambles, and aslo which half of the top ten is mostly SETRA and which half is mostly SERA, don't forget to count the guys that are members of both. ;)

KTMflyboy

Aug 23, 2001
SERA riders get out of the way a lot faster than the SETRA dudes. We also do not yell to pass in spots that are impossible to pass. Except for Rooster, he yells any time, lol.

skabeeb

Nov 28, 2001
Come to think about it, I didn't get very many thank you's when allowing riders to pass at Rockford. Usually everyopne is polite and says thanks when I let them by. I don't know if the guys that kept passing me all day didn't know any better, were under tremendous pressure or were just too cool to do it.

At most SERA rides I get the TY's.....

Could it be that the SETRA guys are more hardcore? LOL

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Originally posted by skabeeb
At most SERA rides I get the TY's.....
Could it be that the SETRA guys are more hardcore? LOL

Nah; they just don't have any experience with passing people! :laugh:

skabeeb

Nov 28, 2001
From what I've heard, SETRA takes the kids races a little more seriously. My buddy (fellow SERA member) tells me the kids have their own series and that the races are longer and more involved.

That sounds like it would make a kid that much better to have the opportunity to ride 20 plus miles than just two or three times around a three mile loop.

crf311

Sep 19, 2003
Rocksford was the most fun I had in my 2 years of endro riding, right up till I got stuck in the mud hole and stalled my crf. Could not get it fired up for about 30-40 min. The first section of trails were a blast.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Originally posted by skabeeb
From what I've heard, SETRA takes the kids races a little more seriously. My buddy (fellow SERA member) tells me the kids have their own series and that the races are longer and more involved.

That sounds like it would make a kid that much better to have the opportunity to ride 20 plus miles than just two or three times around a three mile loop.

The reason for the more involved kids races is this:  SETRA requires at most Enduros that you have a lisence plate on your bike.  They routiniely use county roads and stuff as part of the course.  So, technically, you should also hold a liscense to operate a MC on the street.  Their kids can't race on Sunday until they are at least 16 and legally liscenced.  Their kids race gives the older kids, 12-15 something that's worth while.

In SERA, the 12-15 year olds are racing on Sunday with their dads.

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
What is the point of racing an enduro and getting on a public road, requiring a license? Do you have to have turn signals and such as well?

Unknown Ctrl

Jan 24, 2002
let me sum it up.

after being around SERA Enduros for close to 26 years and recently going more hardcore on the SETRA Enduros do to my moving to GA and no longer living in LA and AL....

SERA clubs understand the sport and the importance of timekeeping and SETRA clubs know how to lay out a 24/30mph fastest rabbit through non timekeeper. There merely check you in and check you out.....I am also not a fan of the restart...too many in SETRA races. The latest attempt by a SETRA club to make check placment and timekeeping a little challenging was at the LBJ National. Instead of placing the check at the first possible going into a section...like most SETRA clubs do...they moved them back a couple...now with a little course layout skill they would get you to the first possible on time then run you through some gnarly stuff at 24 to take points away from you going into the section. Some guys would lose 1..2..3. points just going in and then carry them through. AA would have to hustle to 0. Unless you know timekeeping and remember this approackh by the club from the previous year.....Jon K. spoke of the importance of "Extreme Timekeeping" something a lot of us growing up on the SERA circuit learned. Now how did I 0 allthe check sgoing in with the AA's ........now your timekeepinng...follow rows ahead into a section ...maybe 10 mins ealrly...creep...stop...listen....watch...maybe even dress in Camo. But iof you can see or hear a row blow through a possible with no check, you can cruise through until the next then the next until you spot the guys with the little red flags...be sure to mak esure you can hide really well...It also helps to be anorexic...check captians can not score you unless they can id you....eat less and hide behind a tree...EXTREME Timekeeping does not work for those on the portly side.....Finally...once the check is spotted, wait for your minute and cruise in on the top....

I do admit though...the boys in SETRA can twist it..but SERA guys twist it more...

both are great series...

Top Bottom