setting up an MXC 250 for woods... need info

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
Hi Guys
I just got a new ('01) 250 MXC and will be riding primarily woods and trails here in washington state. I am looking for set up tips from those experienced with this bike. Need base line jetting info for sea level @ 50 - 60 degrees, also any tips on tuning this thing for low end torque for these muddy conditions? I am 6'-1" and 225 in gear, and ride moderately aggressive. Any and all help is appreciated

Thanks

Brian~

kenkfish

Dec 16, 2000
Brian, I am in a similar situation. I am trying to set my 02 SX250 up for more woods type racing/riding. I currently race MX but am getting tired of the long days,little saddle time and poorly prepared tracks. My plan is to get the FMF Gnarly pipe for more low end, possibly the EXC OEM flywheel, if it fits and maybe a tooth or two on the rear. I will soften up the suspension as much as I can without a revalve(the 02 SX suspension is awesome). I have already ordered the KTM tall seat that they offer. Oh yea, I already have the Oberg 18mm offset clamps for quicker turning. Keep us posted on your mods and results.

Ken

ted jackson

May 18, 2001
MX in the woods

Hey Ken and Brian, I have a similar situation here in WV. I ride an unmodified 250 SX and I'm pretty happy with it. Brian, have you added your flywheel yet? Is there much difference? How difficult is that? I've heard the stock pipe is an FMF, how different is the FMF Gnarly? I haven't done it, but I'd think a larger rear sprocket would be a quick easy and cheap. What abou tires? I like the Dunlop 756's Happy Halloween

Ted.

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
I have not modified my bike at all, I have only 1 ride on it and that was just for engine break-in. I plan on getting a flywheel weight because in the fall and winter months we get a lot of rain and the conditions can get pretty ugly.
(my favorite time to ride) ;) I will do a full ride this weekend and feel out the suspension and front tire, I have had good experience w/Dunlops, but also want to try out the Michelins. Other than the mandatory guards and jetting, I plan on leaving the bike stock for now. I just stepped up from a KDX and so far love this new machine.

Brian~

Top Bottom