dom

Dec 31, 2001
My '91 KDX is about to be handed down to my girlfriend. She has ridden a bit before but is still very much a beginner. I was planning to add a flywheel weight that I have and swap the springs back to stock. I was also thinking of finding a stock height seat and a stock pipe to tame it down a bit.

I'm about to order sprockets for it. I've always run stock but I was wondering if I should change the gearing. If I was going to ride it more I'd go up 2-3 teeth in the rear to save on the clutch abuse on the really steep hills but I wonder if that would make it harder to control for her. This will be the first 2 stroke she has ever ridden.

Any other suggestions to make it new rider friendly?

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Keep the stock gearing and put the snorkel back on. Drop the forks to slow the steering and maybe use less then standard rear preload to even it out a little .... at least untill she starts to use the travel then you'll have to go back to your settings :^) If your worried about the throttle responce, do what I did for my kids, put a piece of 1/4" tube arround the throttle cable on top of the slide, this is an effective way to limit it, when new riders are unsure of themselves.

skierjet

Dec 23, 2003
Tune it down - and take it slow

I just had an unfortunate experience with a fairly new rider that usually rides a YZ 125. He is somewhat new to woods, and was interested in buying my KDX200, because his 125 needed a top end. I let him borrow it while I rode on my other bike - a woods friendly YZ250. My KDX rips, and he was definately impressed with the power. Unfortunatly, he looped it out and landed very awkward in a water break ditch. Broke his Tibia plateau and tore two ligaments in his knee. Decent rider, but he grabbed a handful of the KDX200 throttle and it was not pretty. No damage to the bike though. He said that his stock YZ125 doesn't pull that strong. Oh - fyi - my '92 KDX has Boyeen Reeds, FMF Fatty & Turbine Core pipes, air box mod, perfect jetting, Wiseco Top end, 38kg front springs, and new 13/49 gearing. Not a brute like my YZ250, but it can still get you in trouble in a hurry. Moral of the story - is that - a tuned down KDX is much more ridable for the beginner than the well modified version. Anyone need a 200?

Top Bottom