crazy4life

Aug 30, 2007
Well i have a 01 rm-85 with tons of upgrades. It was over a mounth ago that i last took her out. To make a long story short i took it out, white smoke poured out, it died a couple times and each time it was harder and harder to get started to the point were the only way to keep it started was to constaly be revving the engine. Now i cant get it started.

I have no idea were to start. Iv already drained the gas sence my first thoughts was theres something in the gas. Still a no go.

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
check the plug, ive spent hours kicking over a 250 with a fouled plug before it occurred to me to check it, if you cant get a new one right away, take it out, dip it in some gas, scrub the electrodes with a wire brush, dip it in some more gas to clean the shavings, and throw it back in and it should fire up, if thats the problem

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
crazy4life said:
I have no idea were to start. .

I would start by checking the basics: Fuel, spark, compression.

Is this a water cooled engine? White smoke could be from steam, which could indicate a blown head gasket.

If the basics appear to be okay then I would try giving the carburetor a really good cleaning.

Rod

crazy4life

Aug 30, 2007
Alright i finally got around to looking at my bike and i cant figure out how to take the damn spark plug off.

Well i got the spark plug of and it's defenatly fowed or h/e you spell it. But i cant seem to find the same spark plug anywere so i was wondering what spark plug i should use.

If this doesnt get it running i will check the compression and head gasket, but the coolent looks good but i did notice that it has gone down about half an inch if that. The air filter and carb are defenatly good. and i have spark

Last edited:

crazy4life

Aug 30, 2007
Ordered the spark plugs. So tommorw il find out if theres more wrong with my bike than just the wrong spark plug...

And i took the side bolt off my transmission and i noticed that it was extreamly low! What should i do about this?

crazy4life

Aug 30, 2007
I am about to check the head gasket but im wondering if tourqeing the bolts is nessessary on a dirtbike.

The tranny oil will be replaced tommorw.

snowskater101

Jul 18, 2007
yeah its necessary.

i would wait till you try a new plug though, i really think you just fouled it. its a lot easier changing a spark plug than taking your head off and ect...

crazy4life

Aug 30, 2007
New plug got it started but it just blows white smoke still... Tranny fluid was just changed. I would love to tear this thing apart but i dont know the tourqe specs!!

Unless its just that im running to rich or to lean

crazy4life

Aug 30, 2007
It idles perfectly! But thats all i can get it to do >< And i am 100% positive that its the right plug. br10eix

Last edited:

Top Bottom