truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
We got to the track and it was raining. It looked horrible. It was slick and my truck was sliding the entire way up the drive to my parking spot.

I called James to tell him I was going home but he was half-way there and didn't have a cell phone. I also called Dave96whyzee and he was already heading back home b/c of the rain. He was the smart one :)

Well, once James arrived the skies opened up and the sun came out. Everything dried up into a real tacky glue. The ATV's took to the course for practice and the track looked so nice I think I was openly drooling on my shoes! I took a look at the bike on the trailer and I swear I saw the s-12 rear tire jumping up and down begging to get out there.

I signed up for 2 classes. Unlimited D and 250D. The Unlimited was first.

The gate dropped and I was near the back of the pack on the start. James was a couple bikes back as he got sandwiched in with some slower riders. I was right up there with another riding buddy, Barry.

Barry passed me when I went wide and I did everything I could to pass him back. We were switching lines and crossing over and it was SOOOO fun!! Barry would go high and I'd follow his line and try to square it off and cut in. Then he'd go wide and I'd go from my line over to cut under him.

There was some good block passing but no T-bones and nothing rough. It was really safe. On the last lap he and I were almost side by side. Barry cut into the left hander turn before the finish line and squezed me out a little. I backed off and tried to get more speed over the first jump as we sped towards the finish. I thought I had him but as we went up in the air yelling at each other and laughing he beat me by half a tire length!! My front tire was at his front disc brake.

It was pretty cool.

James came in barely tired. He couldn't get around the other riders and barely got a sweat going :(

5 races later we lined up for the 250D class. As we are lining up we see some thick clouds and lightning in the distance. I tell James that this will be my last race. I want to get out before the bottom falls out.

As the gate drops I go wide and get a decent start. I did cut over towards James a little but I am not sure if I cut him off or anything. He didn't hit me after the race so that is a good thing :)

I am 5th into the 3rd turn and battling to get around the guy in front of me. As we go into the whoops the first time I bump through the first set before the table top and notice the other 4 are starting to leave me a little. I give it a handful of Ivan throttle (that is about half throttle for the really good riders) and try to triple into the next set of 6 whoops. To my surprise I don't go down as my front tire clears the third one. It actually was cool and I told myself I'd do it again the next lap. Shortly after the whoops I start to feel the rain.

The rain starts falling and quicker than it takes for Gomer to install a PV wrong the track is flooded. It is really coming down. I finish out the last laps slowly and put the bike into the trailer. James gives me a hand loading up as we get drenched. The rain is coming down so bad that the rain stings as it hits my jersey!

Overall it was an ok night. I wish I could have ridden on the tacky stuff the entire night but at least I got a few laps in. That is better than nothing.

Ivan

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I just hate it when that happens!

Seems when I'm riding my best it's start raining or something.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by Truespode
The rain starts falling and quicker than it takes for Gomer to install a PV wrong.
Man, That must have been REALLY fast! ;)

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Originally posted by Truespode
I also called Dave96whyzee and he was already heading back home b/c of the rain. He was the smart one :)
I don't know about that. We got through Gastonia and were actually heading up 74 , when I start getting an ear full from the "Boss" about sitting in the rain, wet ride home, bla bla .... I knew when to concede. She won, and we turned around. That's when Ivan called, man I felt bad, couldn't have been more than 30 minutes from the track. So we get back to house and watch the rain from there.

Great report as always Ivan.
James, sorry I didn't get to see ya again.
I guess our first chance to all get together is ... after DW2 ???
I'll be at Devil's on Sunday, but I really need to get Lil96 on his bike, he's starting to get a little stir crazy.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Dave, Clean out your PM Box!

Top Bottom