endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
I had so much fun at the Sparkplug Enduro two weeks ago that I found myself once again driving north to the western side of Puget Sound to test my skills in a new arena. I arrived the night before and found a few of my friends had ridden the beginner enduro on saturday. Pegasus was there on her BBR200, she got third place in her first ever enduro, good job! Another friend did the saturday ride and, along with countless others, lost the ribbon and extended the course mileage by a considerable amount. Bonehead showed up too, he couldn't ride on Sunday but stuck around to pit for me, what a chum. We walked around the pits later that night and gleaned as much information as we could from the local riders. Apperantly the Shelton Valley is quite different from Belfair, a little more open but also had some choice gnarly spots. By all accounts, the Puget Sound Enduro Riders are a great club. The event was very well organized and the club members themselves are really nice people. After going through the bike and checking out the route sheet and Watchdog, I turned in for a few winks.
I had pre-entered and got an early minute so getting the business done the night before paid off. Still, after setting the keytime and scarfing raisin bran and fussing around with all the last minute stuff I got to the start in a hurry. Such is racing. The course consisted of two loops, the first being fifty miles and the last being thirty. The gas stop was only ten minutes and there were NO RESETS. Setting out at minute five with perfect weather and bitchen trail conditions, I couldn't help but grin, it's so much fun riding in new places. With two other riders on my minute I decided to ride ahead a bit and see if I could establish the pecking order with me in the front. My minute partners were very friendly and didn't cause any problems or try to play games. Even before the first check I knew that the mileage was off a bit so I had to keep adjusting my odometer, not a problem with the Watchdog but still a little unnerving. I zeroed the first couple of checks and started to feel relaxed and ready to rip. The next check was a bit tricky as it came right after a tight section with an 18mph speed average, I missed an arrow going into it and had to push hard to get back on my minute. I had a feeling that a check was coming up. Sure enough and luckily enough I passed through the flags with seconds to spare, whew! Still riding on a zero card I began to feel even better, the course odometer was very erratic, however, so I adjusted my odo at every speed change or milemarker. The fourth check was an emergency check after a long and technical special test. It began shortly after the last check where the speed average jumped from 15mph to 25mph, but only for 1.1 miles, then it "mellowed" out to 18mph. It was impossible to go 18 through the woods we were hitting and I dropped three minutes and twenty seconds at the end of the special. Still, I thought I had ripped it pretty good and I knew that others would do worse, some better. The fifth check was a very tricky timekeeping affair that came after a long section where I couldn't adjust my odometer. According to my odometer I was riding 20 seconds into my minute when I passed the flags but,alas, I didn't look at my keytime, which was 10 seconds early. I BURNED a check! Yikes, 2 points. The last check of the first loop was another emergency check which I did well on but I was still mad at myself for burning check four. I came into the pits for the brief gas stop. I scarfed a banana and a king sized Hershey bar, chatted with Bonehead who was fueling the bike, didn't even change goggles or gloves because of the awesome conditions/no dust or dew, and then set off on the second loop. The amateur classses were done at this point so I knew that the race would change it's face now. The first speed average out of the box was 21mph. Ever go 21 in the woods? After doing 18s and 15s for the first three hours I figured it was time to whoop it up. It was funny the way it happened but I managed to zero the sixth check after running 2 minutes late just a few miles before, thank goodness for speed changes. At this point the course abandoned all timekeeping skill and turned into a deep-woods hare and hound. The last 25 miles were high speed averages in really tight and hilly terrain. The course marking were great and the 520 was setup perfectly for this type of gnarl. Big hillclimbs and pucker-factor downhills with drop-offs were the featured attractions. The seventh check came and went in a blur. I was 11 minutes down and still had to run the 24mph average in some wicked stuff. In other words, it was a GREAT RACE! Hammering out for another hour I finally came to the last check/finish, I was 17 minutes down! Yeah, that was a point taker. I figured out my card and turned it in, a 33. I had a really good feeling about my ride though and a lot of the guys coming in looked pretty beat up. I must have done alright and I still felt pretty fiesty. I packed up the trialer for the long haul home, thanked every club member I could find and hit the road. After a few days of waiting I found out I got 3rd Vet Expert out of ten, I guess I'm not dissappointed. It sure was fun and I can't wait for the River City M/C's enduro on May 5th. Anyone up for some fun?

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Real nice report - I could really get the sense of trying to timekeep while racing. You should come down to So Cal on October 20th and ride the 23rd annual Ghost Rider Enduro. Our club, TWMC, hosts it and it's a fun one ... typically at Spangler Hills. I believe it's also a Best of the West event. Seems you have plenty of buds here in So Cal .... so bring 'em around and race ! Even KIWI !

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Hi Eel, thanx for the compliment. The '96 Ghost Rider Enduro was my last race in So Cal before moving north, I overalled the B ranks and transfered to A on that race. It was a bitchen course, three loops, the last one was atrociously gnarly. Paul Krause zeroed the entire event. I would like nothing more than to run some of the D-37 enduros again but the distance is a bit much. D-36 has a few that I might be able to hit later in the year. Are there any enduros close to Thanksgiving week this year? That might make it possible since I go to Jawbone every year at that time. The last time I did an enduro with the Kiwi, '95 Quicksilver, he snored so loud in my trailer that I had to sleep in my truck, good thing I'm a nice guy or I would have filled his nostrils with chain lube and plugged his mouth with a dirty air filter. Send my regards to the TWMC, one of the best clubs around.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Great report Endo, or is that Dopey? Please keep them coming, you are the king of ride reports in my book. Must be nice to get 3'rd in the vet expert class! Great job.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
It's pretty funny when a newbie like me tries to get you up to speed on an event and it turns out you rode it years ago and overalled your class ! LOL :)

Unfortunately there isn't a D-37 enduro in November. But TWMC is hosting the Wicked Bird Enduro at Cougar Buttes on November 17th.

Last edited:

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
Endo, great write-up. Sounds like a real Ironman affair. Hope to make it to the Thank-N-Spank this year to get some good action shots of you guys flogging the Eel! :p

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
G#@$%&^$@T,

Wish that I lived up there in Gods country with you guys. I hate reading about your rides in perfect conditions, makes me sick!
But realy sounds like we all missed a good one, wish i could have been there.
See you soon.
Bundy

ps. tell Bonehead thanks for the tapes!

KNeese

Nov 19, 2001
Shelton Valley report

Great ride report there endoquest.

Boy we had a record turnout for the enduro this year. The beginner enduro on Saturday had 116 riders for the Beginner enduro then we had 167 riders for Sunday. I think last year we barely broke 100 riders. But then the weather was nasty last year.

Congratulations on your results. That second loop sounded killer. Most everyone that came through said they liked the loop.

I am also planning on doing the Timekeeper May 5th. The location for the enduro is in my back yard. I have ridden ther for 20+ years. Lots of high speed wide open trails for the most part.

Probably see you there.

Ken

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Howdy CPT Jack! Your presence is indeed requested at the Jawbone Spanksgiving Charade!
Bundy, Yes, you ARE missing out. The week before the Shelton was a different story though, heavy rain at the Timber Mountain HS. I flailed and flogged on that one.
KNeese, it's encouraging to hear about the good turnout. That's what good clubs need to make there efforts worth it. The second loop was REALLY good, I only wish I had more TIME to enjoy it, hee hee. See you this weekend.
Thanx all, I'll have another report next week when the results come in.

Bonehead

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 15, 2001
You dha man Endo
AS my 520, sits tore to the bone and a roof do do for a friend, i want to cry. You will be riding 25 min. from my house.
20 YEARS AND WIDE OPEN Can you say woooooooooped out I can
Glad I am missing the course but not you .

P.S. I found the end of the bolt It was Stuck in the thermastat
Only a Bonehead could do it

Top Bottom