jai.1

Apr 12, 2008
It seems there are many opinions about whether the clutch is needed or not when shifting gear on a modern motocross bike. Can damage result either way? What's your opinion? What are the facts?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Just don't shift while you are on the gas. That WILL NOT be ok. I dont clutch when accelerating hard, which happens like twice a year. ;) One of those Rekluse setups is soundin better and better.

Flux3D

Aug 8, 2007
I think the clutch is more useful when in technical terrain and you are going slow. Also, it is nice to feather the clutch for more controlable power when doing hill climbs. When changing gears, however, the clutch is really only needed when you are up-shifting with the throttle wide open and when rapidly slowing down.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
There are risks involved in not using the clutch.

It is harder on the equipment, no doubt about it. If you are willing to trade the increased wear and tear for the small inprovement in performance then go for it. If you are just being lazy, then I would say that it is not a good trade.

There is also a chance that shift will "miss". If you are upshifting then there is a chance that you could end up over-reving the engine.

I always use the clutch when upshifting. If I am climbing a hill and need to downshift to keep going I will often power shift.

One notable exception was during the last enduro I rode. Halfway through the first loop I dumped the bike and broke the clutch lever off flush with the perch. I still had about 8 miles to go on the first loop. It was a bitch, especially when I had to stop at the checkpoints but I completed the loop.

Rod

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
_JOE_ said:
Just don't shift while you are on the gas. That WILL NOT be ok. I dont clutch when accelerating hard, which happens like twice a year. ;)
Just the opposite, especially on start straights. When accelerating hard for any distance, maximum speed/acceleration is achieved by keeping the throttle pinned and tapping the clutch as you shift. Many bikes will not shift under full power if you don't use the clutch. Some bikes will not shift under full power even if you do use the clutch (like my 90 YZ250).

To shift without the clutch usually requires letting off the gas to do it. If you're going to let off the gas to shift, you might as well take your right hand completely off the handlebar and wave at the riders who are passing you because you let off.

Apr 30, 2007
High Lord Gomer said:
Why do people want to not use the clutch? If the reason is they don't have enough control over the bike while using one or two fingers on the clutch, then their lack of control is the issue to be addressed.
Why not use it?

I can't reach with 1 or 2 fingers actually. My clutch lever doesn't pull as easily either... I do know that on occasion during a race, I haven't pulled in the clutch to shift...however it is purely due to arm lock up...

I usually think that I have an better advantage when I use the clutch to maintain power and pull me through and out of corners.

It's how I won (over all 11th place, but I beat the only other 80 rider there) a harescramble!

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
If you can't reach the lever, look into getting a different perch and/or lever that will position the lever closer to the bar.

If it is too hard to pull, try replacing the cable, making sure the perch isn't dragging or binding, and that no one snuck Barnett springs in your clutch when you weren't looking. If the clutch is operating properly, then you need to work on your strength and conditioning.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I let off for a split second when I shift. I can't imagine it slows me down any more than using the clutch would. I would think it slows you down more to use the clutch as it probly takes as long to pull the lever in as it does for me to complete the shift. But whatever, do what makes ya happy. And hey Gomer, at least I have a bike to shift! :nener:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
_JOE_ said:
I let off for a split second when I shift. I can't imagine it slows me down any more than using the clutch would. I would think it slows you down more to use the clutch as it probly takes as long to pull the lever in as it does for me to complete the shift. But whatever, do what makes ya happy. And hey Gomer, at least I have a bike to shift! :nener:
Ouch! If I can borrow a bike I'll prove it to you. You'll have to come down here though, as I'm already booked for the 3 days of riding season you guys have up there. :nener:

Seriously, when done right it sounds like an automatic with a quick shift plate in it. Plus, any loss of drive when the clutch is momentarily slipping is made up for by the engine spooling up higher and then transferring that to the transmission when the clutch locks back up.

When just riding around, I let off to shift. When in race mode, the throttle stays pinned (for as long as my meager skills can keep it that way). Using that techique I've gotten a whole lot of holeshots. Not too many first place finishes, but a whole lot of holeshots.

antonyp

Jun 20, 2002
Pafos
Sometimes I shift without using the clutch while trail-riding, like when I need to stop the bike quickly or when riding standing-up (for the obvious reasons). But I never do that on the street...

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
High Lord Gomer said:
Ouch! If I can borrow a bike I'll prove it to you. You'll have to come down here though, as I'm already booked for the 3 days of riding season you guys have up there. :nener:
Lol, I take it you've spent some time around here. Day 1 of our is usually too muddy to have any fun, day 2 is prime, day 3 is so dry and dusty you can't breath. :(
I see the theory behind your method, and I'll give it a shot. Only problem I see is the extra power from dropping in at a higher rpm will make the rear tire spin in the endless mud we have up here. :nener:

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
normaly i use clutch to shift because i don´t race... only against myself... :coocoo:
but in the track i usualy ride there´s a place where i´m unable to use the clutch to up shift becase i go lean back and if i use clutch i go unstable because of the big roots...

i also use the clutch to control the powerband of my cr80...

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Note that clutching on a downshift is a must on a 4 stroke due to its engine braking (and a good idea on a 2 stroke, too). I most always use the clutch when shifting but occasionally find myself skipping it on an upshift. I believe I started doing that after reading so in the MX riding tips book I bought from EG's site.

Top Bottom