ejbraaps

Sep 30, 2013
Went out this weekend for a short ride and noticed when I would do a tight turn and espeacially if it was a pretty bumpy turn I would go to shift down and it was like there was no gears until I would let the clutch out a little then i could shift down.Happend like 2 times during the ride I cant remember if one of my 2 strokes did this or my street bike but i have had another bike do this.

It is a 2013 kx 450f with not even 3 hours on it. I did change the oil and air filter rotella t6 and i dont know if that coul be the issue, Also dont know if changing oil you use every oil change can be bad for the bike like going syntetic to semi or non.

Just wanted to make sure incase this is the start of a big problem I can adress it now

Thanks

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I'm going to jump on a limb and say yes, oil can affect shift quality. Most often it's old oil that is the culprit, but I can see how the wrong oil might. Check your manual, put the recommended stuff in it and see if it gets better. I always liked Castrol R4 in my 09.

ejbraaps

Sep 30, 2013
FruDaddy said:
I'm going to jump on a limb and say yes, oil can affect shift quality. Most often it's old oil that is the culprit, but I can see how the wrong oil might. Check your manual, put the recommended stuff in it and see if it gets better. I always liked Castrol R4 in my 09.

thanks for the reply

Is it ok to just switch what you were you using to something else? like if you had synthetic in it to go to semi-synthetic?

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
As long as it meets the proper standards, which are listed in your manual, then yes, do a complete oil and filter change and put whatever you want in it.

Top Bottom