Shifting Without the Clutch, Your Thoughts?

Slips

Jan 24, 2004
I read that downshifting w/out is ok on the motor but upshifting is hard on them because of the torque problem and a clutch should be used to ease wear and tear on upshifts.

pace

Nov 21, 2003
I rarely use the clutch during upshifts.. just back off the throttle slightly and it snicks right up. I have a 2003 CR250R and a 1995 YZ125. Even as old as it is, the YZ shows no adverse effects and shifts 'like new'. I always clutch and blip on downshifts.

It's more habit than anything; not something that I concentrate on conciously and not something I plan to change.

-Pace

Feb 20, 2004
well i think of it as this when i have the throttle pinned and i pull and drop the clutch i go way faster and like a car if u grind gears u mess your tranny up. so its there for a reson USE IT

mxninmn

Mar 1, 2004
shifting

I think the point is to have the load off the tranny. For instance when up shifting you can take the load off the gears by backing off the throttle for a split second or by grabbing enough clutch to do the same thing. It's not like the transmission gears come to a stop in the time it takes to complete a shift, its all about engine and countershaft speed synchronization. Same goes for a downshift (4 stroke more so), you don't want full engine braking on a 4 stroke, just enough throttle to take the load off and it shifts smooth.
Benefits: I have found that I almost never hit neutral when not using the clutch if i do end up in a 1-2 upshift. Also fatigue is less for me when using throttle to make smooth shifts.

Top Bottom