Shim Program

svi

Has anybody bought or used this programme ?http://www.shimprogram.com/
I'm thinking about buying a copy and was interested in any comments before I laid out the cash.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
SVI,
I bought one from Kevin along time ago, and despite some mods the new version looks similar to the old one after you read the descriptions, and layout. I think Its a interesting tool for quick analysis, when your still trying to learn the basics. It won't offer much for practical tuning. But its gratifying to make calculations and see an answer regardless of the practicality of that answer.. It is limited on more complex stacks, so its best for more benign and simple configurations.

BR,
Jer

MSracer

Subscriber
I guess it would depend on how you plan to use it as to if it is worth it to you. I have had it for a couple of months now and I have been using it with RT kits and one Moto-Pro set up. I think it works well to tune in the kits from the recomended starting points that come with them. I have been surprised at how well the RT Type 2 can be tuned in to work in the woods.

svi

Can you use it to compare a stack with say 15 thin shims with a stack of a similar stiffness but with say 6 shims of different thickness and diameters. Or will it only tell you the effects on changing the thickness on the original 15.

marcusgunby

Lifetime Sponsor
Ive seen the demo version but many features were locked out-best to e mail Kevin and ask.

MSracer

Subscriber
It will compare stacks with a different qty. of shims. Post a sample stack in his forum and the proposed changes , he will post an example back for you of the results.

kevin5758

Sponsoring Member
The Shim Program and its intended purpose has changed considerably since the original version put out in 1992. The program and its associated web site are an ongoing process, and we have plans for version upgrades as well as an entire program designed specifically for forks.

We realize that people post to these forums to get unbiased opinions. We appreciate all who offer their opinions on our product. If you would like a “biased opinion”, click either of the links below.

svi,
This first link should address your question about different thicknesses.

http://www.shimprogram.com/program_theory.htm

and

http://www.shimprogram.com/complex_stacks_2.htm

thanks all
Kevin Stillwell
www.shimprogram.com

MSracer

Subscriber
I have got more out of the machinery handbook than any other book for suspension info , it may not have what your looking for but it will point you in the right direction.

Last edited:
Originally posted by MSracer
I have got more out of the machinery handbook than any other book for suspension info , it may not have what your looking for but it will point you in the right direction.
I use that hand book all the time and have an BS in Engineering, what do you gain from it pertaining to suspension?

MSracer

Subscriber
In the handbook is mostly info on springs. I found quite a bit by following referances I found in the handbook.

Last edited:
I use the shim program from Kevin and are very happy with it .It is the only program that I know is available to everybody. It has saved me a lot of dyno time and also helped at the circuit where at world championship level time is very precious . I have many dyno runs to check the program and found it to be close.I have used it at factory level in motocross ,roadrace and supermotard.

marcusgunby

Lifetime Sponsor
Chris thanks for your input, i have a question, on the shim program it shows if we add shims to the high speed stack(2 stage stack) it adds almost as much low speed damping as it does high speed, i have never understood this?? does this show on a shock dyno?

svi

I've been using the program for a few weeks now and it's awesome. I was quite in the dark about some aspects of shim behaviour, it's proved wrong quite a few points that proffesional tuners had told me about shim dynamics and proved right a few others.
Desperately waiting for spring now so that I can try a few things.