shim shuffle final - KTM WP forks Part 3

marcusgunby

Lifetime Sponsor
Servus Michael the std Cr125 has a very burly valve stack which is as follows
24.1(12)
This is with the std piston (3.5mm holes)
It also has a set of shims that sit over the bleed holes in the base valve.And it doesnt have alot of midvalve float.Looking at the valving you could only go one way on this fork and it aint stiffer:eek::confused:

Great info in this thread on the forks, I actually just purchased/installed Chuck Waggoner's kit which is close to what many of you are using. After I try it this weekend I should be able to tailer it to my liking based on responses in this thread.

Now for the biggie, what about the shock? Any of you have any setups you wish to share? I realize it's not as easy as the fork but I have access to N2 and my shop is going to give me a rebuild 'lesson' this week. I regularly do my snowmobile shocks so hopefully this won't be a long stretch.

I have a PDS1, PDS6 and a 7.6 straight to play with, I think the PDS6 would be the best choice.

BTW, I'm 180# and run the A-Vet class on an '01 200 MXC in New England enduro's (nothing but rocks)

Throttlemonkey

Servus,

Very nice to know that some people still read this stuff and actually also very funny to read it again myself. Don't know how often I used "perfect" for every evolutionary step and it always got better :D

The final hint for my real "perfect" setup came from bud-man and actually I have gone a full circle almost going back to Jer's original setup. Differences aren't that big in absolute numbers, but the results are. I also experimented with different pistons and same/similar valving, but the MX-Tech pistons worked best for me.

As for the question about the shock, I've never ridden much with the stock WP unit and switched very early to an Öhlins unit setup by Mark Hammond who also is occasionally on this forum - Thanks Mark! I did make small changes to the shock valving, but only because I got faster and the shock was a little too soft then. The shock came with a 9.5 straight rate spring (180lb wet) which was too stiff. Went to a 8.5, but as the valving in the forks improved and I went to 0.44 fork springs the rear was also upped to 9.0 . The Öhlins shocks by Mark Hammond have always worked for me and that's what I'm recommending. MX-Tech claims to have a lot of experience and I know that Bud-man has done a lot of successful experimenting also. As I don't have more experiences those two would be my choice if using the stock WP shock.

Michael

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Michael,
I want to set- you up with my latest settings. Drop me a e-mail.. Things have really gotten better.. :)

BR,
Jer