Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
I have a slight amount of slop in the lower mounting point on my CR shock.
When I lift the bike I can feel a small amount of play that is coming from the lower shock mount bearing.
Is this normal?
The reason I ask is I'm certain that they play has been there since I got the bike new in '98.

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
Peer Lovell said:
I have a slight amount of slop in the lower mounting point on my CR shock.
When I lift the bike I can feel a small amount of play that is coming from the lower shock mount bearing.
Is this normal?
The reason I ask is I'm certain that they play has been there since I got the bike new in '98.

It is normal to a degree, as you can imagine that area is exposed to lots of water and mud etc.Being a 98 model it's probably time for a linkage re-grease/overhaul. You can buy the bearing from Honda or buy a complete linkage kit from pivot works.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
When new my bikes had no play. but, the lower shock bearings gets shot in 3 months since they switched to needle bearings. I don't know if yours is a spherical bearing or needles but they sure need much attention. I noticed chain wax from Maxima does a good job at making spherical bearings live longer. For the needle type, even with very frequent greasing and maintenance they develop a play after a short time. They must be under built for the job they have to do.

brianfr

Jan 23, 2004
If you replace it you might want to check everything in the rear end before you order parts. Chances are good you'll need more than one bearing.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
While I have not tried it myself, I understand that on the '98 CR250 the shock's lower needle bearing can be replaced with the spherical bearing from the shock's upper mount. This is supposed to last longer.

On the first gen alum farme CRs, the needle bearing for the lower shock mount does wear out faster than the other bearings in the linkage.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom