eburatti

Apr 4, 2002
I have a 2001 XRL650, which I bought brand new in 2001. After about 6 months of aggressive trail riding, th rear shock lost all damping. I had the shock rebuilt and revalved for a 225lb rider. Now it's about 10 months and about 5 good rides later and the shock blew and shot oil all over the back of the bike. Has anyone else had a shock blow like this? What's going wrong? I know I'm hard on it, but I was just as hard on my DR-350s and XR400 and never blew a shock before. Is there another shock assembly that would fit, and be more resilient? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

eburatti

Apr 4, 2002
OK, I'm thinking about this more and I think that the failure was in the valve stack, and it prevented oil from flowing through the valve body in the shock cylinder. The reason I think this is that the whole side of the shock body is blown out, and the only way I can think of to create enough pressure to blow out the side is if the valve body was not flowing any oil at all, and I hit a g-out that would have caused the bike to bottom. The only thing is, I cannot believe I'm the only one this has ever happened to?

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
HOLLY SXS ! Wow dude thats intense.. My best guess is you sheard off some piston ring, and that plugged the compression adjuster...OR some hack overfilled your shock.. That a farly substantial oversight BTW..

Jer

Top Bottom