Shock compression adjuster revalve?

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
I was wondering if during a revalve most tuners also work on the shock compression adjuster. I'm wondering because there is something that's been bugging for a while. I don't understand, wouldn't that compression adjuster unit be similar to the base valve in forks. How come is it that in forks the main component that is altered is the active valve while on a shock the component that is mostly used to alter damping caracteristics is the passive valve?

terry hay

Nov 8, 2003
No Hand
I would say most tuners simply adjust the compression stack on the shock shaft and the base valve on the forks. This allows them to create a change with a certain degree of safety with a limited amount of exposure to the bike/rider situation. To revalve the compression adj. would require an understanding of the shaft to wheel speed ratios and usually would not be considered until valving options on the shaft have been exhausted. The KXf 250 is one bike that benefits from such a mod.
Terry

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
terry hay said:
...The KXf 250 is one bike that benefits from such a mod...
Thanks Terry, I noticed you talked about revalving the comp adjuster on the KXF in another post. That's why I'm glad you answered to my question.

Top Bottom