shock mount bearings

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
recently I had asked a question regarding a metal to metal sounding tap that happened when I pulled up on my bike to where the suspension tops out (like when you lift it onto a stand), the sound only happens when I do this, there are no strange noises when sitting on the bike letting it go through the stroke, my answer was that the shock mount bearings are shot and I should replace them. Sooooo I went out to the garage the next day and took off the lower mount were it hooks to the linkage, but I couldn't tell if the bearing was bad or not. How can I tell if the bearing is bad, it didn't move up or down alot, just a very very small amount of movement at all. also how do I get these bearings out, do I have to press them out? thanks for all your help, I am just very lost at the moment on what to do, I don't want to ride the bike like this and I feel stupid that I've let it go this long without being fixed. can someone please walk me through how to tell where the sound is coming from. Also what is the best way to take apart the rear linkage and mounting bolts, with the wheel on a milk crate or something, because when I was taking out the bottom mounting bolt is was very hard to get out. Jeff

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
When removing the lower bolt lift on the rear wheel and it will come out by hand. As far as the bearings go you do need to press them out. Before you do that though there is a wire circlip you have to pull out of one side and press them in that direction. Don't ruin the small shoulder they back up against by trying to press in the wrong direction.

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
thanks

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Those Yamaha bearings dont seem to last very long at all do they? Sometimes the new bearing will go in easier if you chill it in the freezer for a while . You should probably grease the whole linkage while youre at it . Maybe the steering stem also .Actually this play happens to almost all bikes after awhile. I guess the bearings are never really greased from the factory upon installation , but theres no real way to really pack them good besides just rolling them and forcing grease . I have been using this really funky grease thats meant for gun chambers it does on like a fluid and gets penetration and then thickens up into a paste. Seems to work pretty good ans lasts a good long time. Ever notice the new Yamaha grease on the linkage turns to a solid after like 6 months ? It actually comes out in chunks . DEAN

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
Ouch, chunky grease can't be good...! I've noticed alot of things are pretty seized up on the bike, now that you mention the steering head thing that'll be my next question. I wanted to pull the steering head apart and lube it a few weeks after I bought It (that was about 6 months ago) and when I turned the head bolt that sits under the bars, the whole steering head turned as I turned the bolt, so then the bars were all tweaked, the bolt didn't even budge, what would I do about this? Just heat the bolt or is there something on the lower end that I could put another wrench around to prevent that, thanks dean
Jeff

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
Dean, check a Yamaha linkage when it's new. The bearings are packed in a silicone type material.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
When grease chunks up like that it is due to the oil seeping out of the soap and all you have left is a base material that has little to no lubricity.
That is a tell-tale sign of cheapo grease.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Whats up Jaybird? Hey Shocknut howsit goin?, Is that stuff on the new Yam linkage bearings waxy grease or is it there to aid in the assy at the factory , Either way it doesnt lubricate and doesnt have much lubrificant qualities when its all dried up like that ??. YZ250ROOST maybe you can try some penetrating opil on that nut or turn the steering head allthe way to trhe left against the steering stops. Or do you mean that the shaft itself isturning in the clamps ? That could be real bad , Ive only seen that happen on a street bike and I had to use big momma impact gun to get it off . Dont be hasty and use a good 6 point socket . GOOD LUCK

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
Yeah the actual shaft itself turned in the clamps, it pulled the top clamp with it so the bottom clamp was straight but the top clamp was pointing to the left, I did try this with the forks removed and that could have had an effect on it, if I put the forks in the clamps maybe that'll brace the top clamps enough to remove the nut......hope it works or i'm screwed,
Jeff

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…