TNUTT

Jul 18, 2002
I am in the process of revalving the shock, but I have ran into a problem after I release the nitrogen. I was unable to to get the end cap off the resvoir to drain the oil. The manual explains to tap it with a mallet and a socket, but it will not budge. I thought about taking the high speed compression off but that would require a lock nut wrench. I think the oil is causing too much pressure and is preventing me from taking the shock apart.
does any one have any tips or advice for what to do?

overbore

Dec 24, 2001
drain the oil from the top on a kyb shock or it would be hydraulic lock and
not compress enough to get to the clip holding it in.
overbore

TNUTT

Jul 18, 2002
I thought about traing it from the top. It takes a lock nut wrench called a few auto store they left me under the impression they have never hear of it. I think i will try to go by the honda dealer today.Last time I need a tool (14mm hex allen socket) they told me they didn't carry tools.

mxneagle

Jan 7, 2001
1st try removing the valve stem from the schrader valve, make sure to test to make sure the N2 is released first. Then try tapping the bladder cap down. If that doesn't work try tapping the seal head down and dissassembling from that end 1st (this is the way I usually do it). It is possible that the bladder has ruptured and leaked N2 into the shock body.

TNUTT

Jul 18, 2002
I completely removed the stem valve tapped on the resvoir with a socket...did not move. Then i thought i would work on the shock body. I removed the end cap. Then i can push the seal in but as soon as I try to get the clips off the seal pushes right back out.

I think I need to find a lock nut wrench to releave the pressure that is built up. Any ideas where I can get that wrench?

mxneagle

Jan 7, 2001
I have one... in PA your welcome to come out and use it :) Made it myself though. I suspect that you need to be a little more convincing with the the bladder cap. How hard are you tapping it down? You might also try setting the clickers wide open. Or try getting someone to hold the seal pack down while you remove the clip, I know theres not much room for 2 in there. I've had shocks like this one before and persistance paid off on all of them. Good luck.

TNUTT

Jul 18, 2002
Thnaks for all the help...Being this is the first time I didn"t want to damage the shock, so i took it to honda and theY had it off $12.00 later.

The mechanic did not want to tell me too much, he wants to make his money too, but it is more pushing the part down than hammering on it with a mallet.

Top Bottom