EYY

May 22, 2010
I have purchased many parts (all bearings, seals and a few other things) from the second seller you listed and was more than happy with their service and the quality of the parts.

Imho Allballs is a good brand, and all their products i've purchased have been of good quality so either way I feel you would be satisfied.

If you don't feel confident with your mechanical ability I wouldn't advise taking apart the shock to change the seals. As I recall you may need to grind the head off the shaft to remove the nut which holds the seals on, and therefore need to use loctite on re-assembly.

There are many 'how to' articles on the net which are relatively easy to follow if you decide to do it yourself. If you've rebuilt shocks before you'll have no problems.

99220sr

Aug 22, 2010
Thanks for the advice, I don't think I will do it myself, but want to make sure the mechanic is using correct parts.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I think either will be fine. I have also used some stuff from lytleracing, no complaints. I've used many parts from all balls too, no trouble as of yet, although some people seem not to like them.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
The All Balls link shows a lower bearing, which goes in the linkage. The second link shows what is really an All Balls seal head. Moose also sells the All Balls seal head. Are you wanting a bearing or a seal head?

If a seal head is wanted, then the end off the shaft WILL have to be ground off. The shock will also need nitrogen.

Has anyone bought one of the All Balls seal heads? I am wondering if it is rebuildable like the more modern KX seal heads, or is it peened over like the older style KX and KDX seal heads? It looks like a KDX owner could lose half a pound of weight by going with this aluminum seal head. I plan on buying one of these eventually.

99220sr

Aug 22, 2010
I'm a little unclear on what's involved when grinding of the end of the shaft. If someone could provide a link with a guide to rebuilding the KDX shock that would be great.

I have bought the All Balls seal head and should have it in a few days.

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
Haven't blown a shock seal in my KDX 220 yet. Years ago, I had to replace the seal in my 86 KDX200 and aftermarket kits weren't available then. I used a Showa sealhead for a CR125 shock then. Later I blew a shock sealhead on my KLX300 and used an All Balls kit on that. Good quality product. When replacing the seahead for the first time,the shock shaft is peened on the end to prevent the shock nut form backing off. That peened part has to be ground down all the way to the nut to be able to back the nut off. Replace the nut with a fresh one, use red locktite on it and torque it to 25-30 footpounds. :cool:

Top Bottom