Shock spring question.

Fatherof2

May 17, 2009
Hi Gang,

I need a 4.8kg spring for my shock. I found one on Ebay that is a Showa 4.8. The owner says it is for a KX250F or CRF450 etc. Will this work? Do I need to know the stroke etc?

Thanks for any input,

D.

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
You need to know the hole size top and bottom to see if spring will fit over and not be too loose, and total spring length to see if your adjuster can set preload,

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
you should be fine with the stock rear and 42kg from race tech for the front,

I went down the road of the frp suggestions wiegh 165-170lbs and really wish I had gone with the 42's.. if you insist I can let you have my 38's for half and save you the money, I could put $50 more in and buy the 42's.

I also have a kouba link that will lower your rear spring rate through leverage and lower the bike 1.5 inches.

Fatherof2

May 17, 2009
Hello sr5,

You went with .38 in the front, and found it too soft?

I am 165 without gear, and am about to order the 48 for the back. Bad call?

Did FRP do any suspension work for you? Love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks again,

David

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Fatherof2 said:
Hello sr5,

You went with .38 in the front, and found it too soft?

I am 165 without gear, and am about to order the 48 for the back. Bad call?

Did FRP do any suspension work for you? Love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks again,

David

no sir he did not do any work for me, I did the shim stack mod myself and replaced the springs myself

the back shock was done by me too, after turning the clicker on the bottom to try to get the last click I thought was there and jambed the needle adjuster stuck and had to take apart anyhow to fix it.

dont get me wrong my setup it great and well ballanced untill you start really pushing it and want to get really airborn

some good pionts about changing the oil, I have worked my front clickers all the way in, I will have to research what oil I put in way over a year ago so I can go up 5 in viscocity

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
Here's how you check if different springs will fit.
1. go to http://www.racetech.com
2. go to the 'Search' then 'Spring Rate Search' menu
3. Select bike
4. click the link 'Custom Fork and Rear Shock Spring Calculation and Available Rates'
5. enter the details about riding type and weight
6. the page you now see has all of the spring rates and more importantly spring dimensions
7. repeat process for different bike and see if the springs are compatible
8. sit down and have a beer coz that was just such hard work (only one though or your riding may be impaired)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…