Short guy, power hungry, woods rider, what bike?

YardDog24

~SPONSOR~
Jan 10, 2003
Well, the subject states it basically. Im 5'6 170. I ride mostly trails (on a quad now -400ex). The wife wants a bike rather than a quad because she feels like the quad is gonna come over on her and crush her so bikes it is. Ive ridden dirt on and off forever it seems but only on dirt bikes back in the day (84-90ish XR80's and such) Anyway. Being so short blows. I sit on the higher power bikes and cant hardly tippy toe (30 inseam). But there is no way I can get a freakin XR100 or CR230 or whatever low power bike. What the heck can I do? And to put the you dont need the power stuff down now -I also ride street. Currently a RC-51 and a 929 so Ill need something with punch. :)

Thanks in advance!

OldMaiconut

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 28, 2001
I have a 30 inch inseam and ride a 03 YZ250 and a 00 YZ426. All you need is to be able to touch tippy toes! I get into trouble sometimes if I stall and have ruts on both sides, but other than that, I get along just fine. Don't sell your self short!

YardDog24

~SPONSOR~
Jan 10, 2003
Originally posted by OldMaiconut
I have a 30 inch inseam and ride a 03 YZ250 and a 00 YZ426. All you need is to be able to touch tippy toes! I get into trouble sometimes if I stall and have ruts on both sides, but other than that, I get along just fine. Don't sell your self short!

Hmm. Interesting. I know I can handle the power, I just worry about spots like you said...ruts. Or hills where I may get in trouble and have to restart it.

Did you make any adjustments to your suspension? What do you weigh?

Thanks for the replys!

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Originally posted by YardDog24 :
" And to put the you dont need the power stuff down now -I also ride street. Currently a RC-51 and a 929 so Ill need something with punch. :)"

Hello fellow power junkie. :thumb:
Yea, the height of modern bikes sorta stinks, but having all that suspention makes it worthwile........sorta. :laugh:
There are supposedly aftermarket companies who make longer "dogbones" and low profile seatfoam kits to bring em back down to earth.
This is my biggest gripe about modern bikes.
Compared to older stuff it seems like your sitting way up on top of em instead of RIDING em.
As for the power thing.......
KX500, XR650R, KTM 525exc/mxc, Cr500 (r.i.p. old friend) any of these will decidedly bring a smile or 2 (or 200,000 or so.) :)

drzgod

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2002
I have a 30" inseam and ride a '02 YZ250 with no suspension mods. The YZ has a lower seat height (lower, not low) and works real well for me. I ride in the woods, and the power vs. height never come into play. The only time that I have height issue is in slow, off camber stuff where putting you foot down can be frustatrating when you put it out into the air. Practice good balance techniques so taking your feet off the pegs isn't as necessary and you'll more than get by. The YZ250 rips, it should adequately fill your needs in the woods, I have never needed more power.

YardDog24

~SPONSOR~
Jan 10, 2003
Originally posted by OnAnySunday

Hello fellow power junkie. :thumb:
As for the power thing.......
KX500, XR650R, KTM 525exc/mxc, Cr500 (r.i.p. old friend) any of these will decidedly bring a smile or 2 (or 200,000 or so.) :) [/B]

Yeah, Im a power ho for sure, I think Charlie said it best "Look at you! You're not going to be happy unless you are going mach 2 with your hair on fire"

:thumb:

Ill have to look into those options, thanks for the replies!

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hey Yarddog:
Go to the Honda shop and sit on a CRF450. Then go to the Yammie shop and do the same on the YZF450.
I bet you will find the CRF fits much better!
Once you get the Honda home you will be SHOCKED at the POWER and the method (ELECTRIC) by which its delivered! I would look for an 02, I still think the 02 CRF handles better then the 03 but that is MHO!
Gotta tell ya though, I am ridin a KX500 this year and having WAY to much fun :)
Woodsy

YardDog24

~SPONSOR~
Jan 10, 2003
Originally posted by woodsy
Hey Yarddog:
Go to the Honda shop and sit on a CRF450. Then go to the Yammie shop and do the same on the YZF450.
I bet you will find the CRF fits much better!
Once you get the Honda home you will be SHOCKED at the POWER and the method (ELECTRIC) by which its delivered! I would look for an 02, I still think the 02 CRF handles better then the 03 but that is MHO!
Gotta tell ya though, I am ridin a KX500 this year and having WAY to much fun :)
Woodsy

Aaah, the beauty there is they are the same shop :) Bought all my street bikes for him. Hopefully he will have something used as he will let me take it for the weekend, perks of blowing too much cash. lol

Ill have to go sit on one tomorrow, last time I was there I didnt bother I was mostly having the wife check bikes to see what fit her. Thats what got me goin, figure shoot if she gets one so do I :)

Top Bottom