Short rider needing new bike advice

goatman21

Apr 29, 2007
I just sold my YZ125. I'm looking to get a bike with more power than it had and I would like to get a four-stroke. Used to have one and want to switch back over mainly for their lugging ability in the woods and not having to be ran full-titlt to avoid fouling plugs in the woods.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 5'6" and 150 punds
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? I would say I'm an intermediate but aggressive rider.
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????I ride woods/ tight trails and sand dunes. No racing or track riding but when in the dunes I do like to jump and go big
4) Do you have any riding experience? Yes, been riding for about 10 years
5) Do you think you will race ? Nope
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?Love to work on them, sometimes need a little guidance or instruction though if it gets really in depth
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? No real brand pref, always had hondas and yamahas though. Want to get back into 4 strokes
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?N/A
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike? $6000-$8000
10) Do you live in California?NO

I've been looking at the YAM WR450 and the KTM XC or EXC 450 models. I was leaning towards the Yamaha until I found out that you can't plate them anymore in WA, or at least its really more of a PITA than I want to deal with. Riding on the street isn't that big of a deal so I don't want it to play a major factor in deciding what bike to get, I just think it would be a nice perk. I've bee told that if I'm considering the KTM 450, I might as well go for the 525? Is that true? Any other opinions? How does the WR450 stack up to the KTM 450s and 525s? Major drawbacks/advantages to either model/brand?

Alright, now I'm not that tall so am I going to have a hard time handling these bikes? Any one in particular? They all are around the same weight and close in factory claimed seat height (KTM is actually 2" lower), but does any one "feel" lighter or heavier than the others or feel like it carries the weight lower than the others?

Sorry if that is long-winded, but thanks in advance for any help/advice you might be able to give!!

Edit:: Also, it doesn't have to be brand new, it can be a few years old too. For example, I just found a plated '02 KTM 300 EXC, would that be a good trails bike and work in the dunes?

Last edited:

450X

Test It!!!
Mar 25, 2007
personally i think you would be happy with that 300 KTM, that should be enough bike, to do what you want, its used so it will save you some money (which you can put towards aftermarket parts, haha). i dont know alot about the KTM fourstrokes yet and the yamaha would be a good choice. i am a HONDA man, i ride a 2005 Honda CRF450X which is an awesome trails bike and can be rode on the track if i want to and has tons of power. any of these choices are just fine go with what ever one feels most comfortable when your sitting on it. good luck

Jan 3, 2007
goatman21, if you ever foul a plug you need to go leaner on the jetting. A well tunned 2 stroke should never foul a plug in its life. Anyway a KTM300XC would do great for you.

Top Bottom