Shorter Silencer on KDX-200 /220

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
Got layed off from work and have been experimenting with shorter
silencer's on our KDX's.

I shortened an FMF powercore to a 10" shell and repacked.

On the 200 , The bottom feels snappier/ more punch. :nod:

On the 220 , The Bike is deffinetly quicker off the bottom. :) More
noticeable on the 200.

The noise level is about the same and the bikes look a lot better with the silencer about 4" shorter.

Would I do this again ? Yea, I like it :cool:

Last edited:

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Kaw4me said:
Got layed off from work and have been experimenting with shorter
silencer's on our KDX's.

I shortened an FMF powercore to a 10" shell and repacked.

On the 200 , The bottom feels a little snappier/ more punch.

On the 220 , The power was about the same but made the bike
noticably louder.

The bikes look a lot better with the silencer about 4" shorter.

Would I do this again ? Yea, I like it :cool:

yeah. Lets all make some more noise. Cuz it's cool and stuff. :bang:

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
Both these bikes are still much quieter than a CRF-250X I had with an aftermarket silencer.

The whole theory here was to see if it would help the bottom end.

With the silencer packed correctly , these bikes are very trailable.

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
It's great that there's still such a strong following for these bikes but whats not so great is when some people get enjoyment out of just being negative or not helping the thread in any way.

If your goal is to decrease the amount of people that visit " Just KDX " then your headed in the rt. dirrection.

Enjoy the day ,, get out and ride :cool:

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
My goal is to keep riding places open, and try my best to work towards reversing the bad rap that our sport gets in general. That should be a goal we all share! One way to help do this, is to keep it quiet!!! Making more noise is helping nobody, regardless of what your butt dyno says.

No offense, but if you're the type that thinks louder is better, and you can't handle someone disagreeing with that, feel free to take a hike. That won't hurt my feelings a bit.

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
julien_d said:
My goal is to keep riding places open, and try my best to work towards reversing the bad rap that our sport gets in general. That should be a goal we all share! One way to help do this, is to keep it quiet!!! Making more noise is helping nobody, regardless of what your butt dyno says.

No offense, but if you're the type that thinks louder is better, and you can't handle someone disagreeing with that, feel free to take a hike. That won't hurt my feelings a bit.

THIS THREAD WAS NOT ABOUT LOUDER IS BETTER BUT FOR SOME REASON YOUR UNABLE TO UNDERSTAND THAT.

GO CONTRIBUTE YOUR WEALTH OF WISDOM ON ANOTHER FORUM !

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
lol. Wow, seems you've really gotten your feelings hurt over my disapproval of cutting silencers. I do apologize. If you're going to post on ANY forum, perhaps you should be better prepared for criticism. It's nothing personal, you know.

motopsycho87

Dec 26, 2010
^^^ julien_d is one of the reasons I left KDXrider, you should have seen the absolute outrage when I tried fitting a PWM39 on my bike! because Ron Black cant fit a PWK38, apparantly it was absolutely taboo of me to try to fit a PWM39 (which is now working amazingly), closed minded idiots.

Perhaps kaw4me isn't trail riding, perhaps he is riding enduro, or cross!

My friend has done the exhaust same thing to his bike, though I was always under the impression that shortening the can benefitted the top end more than the bottom? Could this mod have perhaps leaned out some already slightly rich jetting?

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Outrage? There was no outrage except you getting pissed at people telling you it would be difficult to make it work properly. Who's closed minded, then? I remained perfectly calm until you went around posting pictures of infected vagina's in multiple peoples threads. Real mature guy. Who's the idiot, then?

I can tell you one thing, you won't get by here with the **** you pulled over there. You will get banned in an instant on this forum. The mods here are a lot less tolerant. And rightly so, if it keeps that crap off the forum.

You guys will want to keep an eye on this one, i'm sure.

Back to topic...

A shorty SHOULD help bottom/mid a bit, and run out of revs sooner. So what you have previously been told is incorrect. IF the op is indeed competing on closed courses, and looking for every edge he can get, that is all well and good. Somehow I do not think that is the case, but whatever. To each his own.

Last edited:

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Right, except that it doesn't run worth a crap, it was easy. Way to hijack a thread, btw. You got any info for the OP on his silencer hack, aside from the incorrect info you posted previously? No? Just had to pop in to try and start crap with me, eh?

Sounds about right.

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
motopsycho87 said:
...I left KDXrider...
Considering your nasty attitude when the membership there was trying to help you...

CurlyBill.jpg

motopsycho87

Dec 26, 2010
So you still think it doesn't run well even though when I posted the video I told you I hadn't finished jetting when id posted the video?

Also, who on kdxrider was trying to help? All I got was you lot trying to discourage me, no help atall.

So does a longer end can aid top end? Are there any official figures documenting the difference in any tuning guides atall?

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
yes. on a properly tuned gp bike a increase or decrease of silencer length seem to hurt the very top end.
on a mx bike a shorter silencer reduces back pressure and give slight increase of bottom.

please keep in mind i never do any experiments on this field. usually i mod the silencer internals or build a new one.

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
This is not something that I'd reccomend everyone to do.
Don't run out to the gargage with sawzal and go cutting your silencer in half.

BUT ,,,, it worked for our particular application and it's fun to experiment.

Sorry some people on here like to high jack or get into pissing matches. :|

Top Bottom