bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
YD24- The 3 hundy is a 2 stroke and not electric start, but it would sit lower and probably easier to kick start than a thumper.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Yeah, I found some literature and none of the 2 strokes(EXC and MXC) have E-start(in 2000). The 4 strokes have it optional. I'd still look at a KDX or EXC cuz they kick really easy and ina few kicks cold.

Huskyraca665

Apr 15, 2002
I'm only 5 foot 4 and was only 5 foot 3 when i started riding my Husky Wr 125. I can bearly get my feet down on it now just tippy toes. I weight 140 and all i did was just lower the fork and get the right spring wieght for my wieght. When you stop just lean off one side or the other. I dont have any problems ride its mostly just starting my bike back up after a crash if it is off camber(learned to kick with left foot off of the bike) I've just learned to stand up more and not pattle my feet and much in the hard stuff so i think it made me a better rider. I too trail ride and race harescramble so i know what its like getting into something hard and not being able to touch. Try looking into the european bike they are setup much better for the woods even if they do cost more you have to put the same amount into a Jap just to get it setup. I hear good things about the ktm exc 200 and i love my bike My 2002 Wr 125. European bike also have lower seat heights than jap bike do thats what attrcted me to them plus i love all the smooth low end power hope the helps.

YardDog24

~SPONSOR~
Jan 10, 2003
I sat on the CRF250R last night, was gonna ride it but a guy bought it right before I got there. I can tippy toe it. I think it will be just fine. It was so comfy otherwise. Once I get the sag set in and the suspension settles Ill address the rest if need be. Now I just gotta decide if I want to wait for the X......

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
If you can balance while you ride up a hill you don't(and shouldn't) put your feet down. Also the lighter the bike the easier to get on and off if you can't flat foot. Good luck with the bike.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
LOL; you guys aren't short. I'm 4'10" and THAT'S short. I think I understand some of the things you're going through, though, so here are some thoughts:

The reason I went for the two-stroke for trail riding is that I can handle a taller bike as long as it's light weight. I cannot touch the ground so I compensate by staying on the pegs more, dabbing less, and concentrating on leaning to the uphill side and getting my butt off the seat when I stop. It's not always graceful, but it works most of the time. That's more difficult to accomplish with a heavier four-stroke. I also gotta admit that the power delivery of the two-stroke is way more fun and exciting for me than the four-strokes, but that's totally a personal preference. 'Sounds like it might be your preference too from your comment about your need for power.

There are also things you can do to your suspension and such to get the seat-height down, which have already been mentioned by folks here. Also, adding a flywheel weight helps a two-stroke climb hills more easily making them more trail worthy.

That being said... I've been riding recently with this guy who had a TON of suspension work done on his YZ450F for supermotard racing. It's off-season now, so he put the dirt tires back on it and we're riding trails now. Believe it or not, his seat height is now the same as my KX100. I am totally not kidding you. So, he let me switch bikes with him both on the trail and at the track recently. YEESH that YZ450F has some scary power!!! It's a little heavy for me (I can't throw it through the corners and such as quickly) and I have a little trouble kick starting it, but it's manageable at that seat height. It would totally be an option at your height and weight, so I thought I'd mention it. Who would of thought that? However, he spent a LOT of money getting that suspension set like that, which is something to consider too.

... Just some thoughts. 'Hope that helps a little.

Top Bottom