YardDog24

~SPONSOR~
Jan 10, 2003
Well, that says it. In the market for a bike. 5-6 180. The bigger bikes with the 36-37in seat heights I cant touch the ground on. The CRF230 I can touch on, and its comfortable. The problem is I know the power will get old. Ive ridden bikes all my life. XR80 back in the day was the only dirt bike. From there Ive had numerous Quads and street bikes. Currently a 400EX and a RC-51.....so I love power. So the question is, how much does it matter? Not being able to touch I would think would be awful. I mean I gotta stop at a tree everytime? Thoughts?

YardDog24

~SPONSOR~
Jan 10, 2003
Originally posted by TwoStroker
What riding are you doing? I'm 5'6" and I ride a KDX. If you want to race you could look at a 250F.

That would be helpful wouldnt it. Basically straight trails. I really dont get into MX, never have. Always been a trail guy. So, how do you combat not being able to touch?

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
You can get suspension links that lower the rear and then just drop the triple clamps down on the fork tubes a similar amount. And if that's not enough you can cut about an inch off of the seat foam.

I tried using maximum recommended sag to lower the rear but wasn't really happy with the results. But it's a freebie so it may be worth a try. YMMV.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
I can touch on a 230 and a KDX and I weigh more than you. You don't have to be able to touch to ride the bike. Just make sure you can stop it and hold it up.

If you don't get a KDX a KX100 or 125 is the next best thing.

YardDog24

~SPONSOR~
Jan 10, 2003
I can touch on a 230 and a KDX and I weigh more than you. You don't have to be able to touch to ride the bike. Just make sure you can stop it and hold it up.

If you don't get a KDX a KX100 or 125 is the next best thing.

Ill have to check out the KDX. I can touch fine on the 230 but I know me. And my power hungry side will want more. I just worry about off camber if I need to get a foot down.

Jersey420

Apr 24, 2003
dude, I'm only like 5-6 or 5-7 and ride plenty of "tall" bikes. right now i have a KX250 and a YZ250... also had street bikes and quads, had a red R6 till a burgundy sedan tried to make me a hood ornament-
I'm a power hungry mo-fo too, and once you put a few hours on a bike you'll start to get used to it and feel much more comfortable than if you had just sat on it. The KDX's are nice, or an MX 250 would be my recommendations from what your riding sounds like.
have fun-

YardDog24

~SPONSOR~
Jan 10, 2003
Originally posted by Jersey420
dude, I'm only like 5-6 or 5-7 and ride plenty of "tall" bikes. right now i have a KX250 and a YZ250... also had street bikes and quads, had a red R6 till a burgundy sedan tried to make me a hood ornament-
I'm a power hungry mo-fo too, and once you put a few hours on a bike you'll start to get used to it and feel much more comfortable than if you had just sat on it. The KDX's are nice, or an MX 250 would be my recommendations from what your riding sounds like.
have fun-

Ill have to take one of the dealers used ones out. Since Ive always had quads and streetbikes Im just used to the low slung feeling.

YardDog24

~SPONSOR~
Jan 10, 2003
Well if you considering a MX250 that would definatly scratch the 230 off the list.

Just wondering, you selling your quad?

I dont know what Im considering yet really, I hadnt considered the MX250s' or the bigger thumpers because of the seat height. Like I said 99% trails. Im thinking a thumper would suit the trails up here better. Very rooty/rocky/muddy and hilly. Then I hear the two strokes handle it fine. Im a capable rider (street for 10 years quads for 20) Im not worried about power by any stretch my 929 and RC51 give me plenty. Im worried about needing a foot down with a 30 in inseam and needed another 5-12 inches of leg depending on where Im at!

We have two quads right now. The wife has a 300EX but doesnt like the bulk. She is a mountain biker (works at Kona USA) and feels like a bike would be better for her (gonna pick her up a CRF150 to start). Originally she assumed a quad would feel better but has since changed her mind. Back to the original question. We will sell hers but may keep mine just to have for fun factor. However, if I only ride the bike it may sell. Growing up on quads I think Ill always have one tho cause they are a blast.

Bet On Red

Aug 11, 2003
I ride street, and used to ride quads... I own a crf230f and a cr125. I can touch fine on the 230.. I cant even tippy toe (unless leaned over) on the cr125... which do i ride more? 125 has seen many hours of use... I've only ridden the 230 for about 10 minutes max. my dad rides it now.

I'm 5'5 150... so i'm in a deeper hole than you are. I usually just find a groove or a rock to place my foot on.

good luck bro

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
If your leaning towards 4 stroke instead of a 230 I'd look at a WR250F. I don't know about the hieghth but its got to be close to a KDX. Its lighter than a 230(no E-start). A MX250F would be better because its even lighter and handles better.

YardDog24

~SPONSOR~
Jan 10, 2003
If your leaning towards 4 stroke instead of a 230 I'd look at a WR250F. I don't know about the hieghth but its got to be close to a KDX. Its lighter than a 230(no E-start). A MX250F would be better because its even lighter and handles better.

Hmm....height on the WR is 39.2. Does have Estart. That doesnt really matter to me tho, I kinda like kickin a bike.....Maybe Im making too much of the height thing. Maybe Ill just do what Bet On Red says and find a freaking rock........

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
If your not going to make it up or down a hill just lean it over to the side and get off. These bike aren't built like china. There meant to be rode hard. Its better to bust a fender than a tail bone.

Carp824

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2002
I am 5' 6" and I ride an Honda XR 400 and have never had a problem with the seat height. The XR400 is a good bike for trail riding

YardDog24

~SPONSOR~
Jan 10, 2003
Originally posted by Carp824
I am 5' 6" and I ride an Honda XR 400 and have never had a problem with the seat height. The XR400 is a good bike for trail riding

I sat on a XR400 and felt like I was in the sky. I dont see how I could kick it over sitting on the bike.........

Good point Two Stroker.........

Last edited:

Carp824

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2002
I admit I am on my tiptoes but now that I have the technique down starting has not been a problem. I have never had a problem handling the bike on the trails due to my height.

I believe a company named XR'S Only sales a lowering link for the bike.

Instaurare

Sep 22, 2003
I got a KDX, found it high, and took the seat to an auto seatcover shop, had them substitute low density foam for the stock high density, and told them to lower the seat as much as possible. They did a great job, and the height was much improved. Then I got some Koubalinks, which lowered it even more. The final step is to get a shoe repair shop to add an extra one half to three fourths inch extra sole on your boot----crepe soles can be built to any height. Using all these methods together, you can bring a tall bike down is size. Why compromise when you can get a KDX built to fit with a little extra work? An alternative would be to check into the Gas Gas Pampera, which has a very low riding position, as well as 280cc of two stroke power. A very good, very low, and very powerful bike for only a few hundred more than a KDX 220R.

YardDog24

~SPONSOR~
Jan 10, 2003
Thanks for all the help guys. Im not gonna go with the CRF230. I know Ill want more power. Ill probably go with the CRF250 or a KDX, I need a woods bike as thats all the riding we will be doing.....thanks again!

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
Originally posted by YardDog24

Im worried about needing a foot down with a 30 in inseam and needed another 5-12 inches of leg depending on where Im at!

With a 30" inseam and 180lbs in weight, you should be able to sit a full size bike with no trouble at all, even in trails. Remember - the bike will sag quite a bit when you get on it (race sag) so don't just look at the specified seat height. It will drop even lower after its broken in. If I went just by seat height, I'd need 9" longer legs myself!! Who has 39" or 40" inseams?? I do not trail ride, but I would think that flat footing a bike might also mean low ground clearance at times. You should be good to go.

Good luck.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Get a KTM EXC or MXC, it feels like your sitting in the bike vs on it. The KTM has an electric start so if you have any kicking issues, just use your thumb, it doesn't matter how short it is :thumb:
As far as riding, once you get moving, you don't need your legs to balance, except in turning or when you stuck in a rut. If your in a rut you'll be plenty tall.

I ride a 520, it should give you all the power you want, and the low end torque for crawling through the ruts

Good Luck

YardDog24

~SPONSOR~
Jan 10, 2003
Originally posted by bsmith
Get a KTM EXC or MXC, it feels like your sitting in the bike vs on it. The KTM has an electric start so if you have any kicking issues, just use your thumb, it doesn't matter how short it is :thumb:
As far as riding, once you get moving, you don't need your legs to balance, except in turning or when you stuck in a rut. If your in a rut you'll be plenty tall.

I ride a 520, it should give you all the power you want, and the low end torque for crawling through the ruts

Good Luck

Hmm. I have a dealer near with a new 03 300EXC that he is selling for 5300....I may check it out.

Top Bottom