shazbot

Oct 12, 2004
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a chance to buy a 99 kx125. The guy who owns it now accidently put straight gas in it and then rode it till all compression was lost. A mechanic friend of theirs told them that it was definitely in need of a top end, but he also told him it had to have crank bearings also. I am just a little leary about having to get into the bottom end even though he is only asking $500.00 for the bike. Other than that the bike is in great shape with some nice aftermarket goodies on it. I was also wondering how he knew it was going to need crank bearings without splitting the cases. Is there an obvious sign when these fail also? One more question, how much in parts and labor should i be expecting to spend for all of the work?

Thanks

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Hard to give any estimate until the engine is opened up and the extent of the damage is explored. If it needs the cylinder replaced or repaired and you have to pay someone to open up the bottom end for you it can add up to more than a 99 KX125 would be worth in a hurry.

B

biglou

If you're good with motors, or even just mechanically inclined (like me!), I'd buy it for $500 for sure. Heck, for that much, I'd buy it just to have the experience of getting inside a bike that I didn't care if it ran after I was done or not. You can also part it out on that e-site for a whole lot more than $500 I would think. Several options here...

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Worst case:
Cyl. replate = ~200
piston kit =~100
gasket kit =~50
BE bearings and seals =~100
rod kit =~100
shop Labor =~350

So, at $500, plus possibly $900 to fix it. $1400 is a bit high (IMO) for a bike that may have other problems as well.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
It's definitely an $800+ bill to fix. If the bottom end isn't bad yet, it probably will be soon.

If it's a cherry otherwise, it might be a good deal. At least you'll know for sure that the crank and top end are brand new.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
totally agree with BIGLOU, buy it for that price, if its going to cost to much to fix part it out. It will be a good experience for you if you want to try and learn some about bikes, plus you can sell the wheels alone and front suspension for prob what you originally payed not to mention all the other stuff. Good luck

shazbot

Oct 12, 2004
Thanks for all the input. Ithink i might go ahead and get it. I should at least be able to break even, also, i think that the guy who said that the crank bearings were gone was just saying it to get them to drop the price (i hope).

minutz

Feb 6, 2000
Been there done that, if the crank is not out yet, it will be soon. Not too bad of a job if you have the tools. Case splitter, mag puller, crank installing tool and a small press then its easy, well, somewhat easy.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
minutz said:
Been there done that, if the crank is not out yet, it will be soon. Not too bad of a job if you have the tools. Case splitter, mag puller, crank installing tool and a small press then its easy, well, somewhat easy.

That's putting it mildly. I've torn into a lot of things in my day. And many of then actually run when I put them back together! But I farmed out the crank on our KX85. The cost was about $450.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Shazbot,

My RM-250's crank to rod bearing gave out about mid season last year. The bike was purchased used, so I had no idea of the engines condition. On top of that, I rebuilt the top end about 4 months before the bottom went. If I'm not mistaken, a 125 should have the bottom end done every1-2 years. and a 250 every 2-3. Frequency and riding styles greatly affect this too.

I am very mechanically inclined, but I didn't have the special tools required to do the job correctly. I sent my engine to Eric Gorr. He rebuilt the bottom, seals and bearings, and did a complete top end. I had it back in less than a month. The engine sounded tight and was much easier to start. My cost was in the $700 range.

I think thats cheap insurance for knowing your engine has been built correctly and you won't need to do a thing to it. Except ride that is.

Bottom line, I'd buy it and send the engine off to Eric Gorrs.

Hope this helps, Steve.

Top Bottom