Should I get a new 03 KX250 or an 04??

Razorback

Jul 12, 2002
I'm in a unique situation.I had an 02 KX250 and was quite happy with it on the track but not a good desert bike so I sold it and bought a KTM300. The KTM is now paid for and I can still buy a new 03 KX250 or a new 04 KX250.I'm not a power junkie so good low and mid range power is what I like.I'm leaning towards the 04 but saving some money on the 03 would be nice.My main concern is which bike corners better and which has the best low to mid power.Kawi's always get crap reviews but thats OK because I like them and the prices are always cheaper than say Yamaha or Honda.Anyone have or had both and which do you like better?

Steve47

Nov 23, 2001
Dude, the bike is far from crap! The mags says all the bikes are really good but the KX end up with a bad review compared to the others because it doesn't have top end that much.

I had an 03 and now own an 04. The motor of the 04 is much better than the 03. It's very very strong right off the bottom and pulls great in the mid. No top end to speak of but I don't care because since it's that strong down low, you can ride it a gear higher no problem. (The 03 struggle a bit to pull a taller gear.)

Now, I liked the stock suspension of the 03 much better than the 04. They went back to bladder fork (or semi-sealed cartridge they call it this year) and that's not a good thing. It was too soft for me and harsh in the mid stroke.

So bottom line it's a tough call, you'll save money on the 03 but the motor of the 04 is awesome. But then again, you'll need to spend more time tuning the suspension of the 04. One or the other, you're in good shape. It is SO MUCH better than the 02 everywhere. (I owned everyl KX 250 since 2000 and the 02 was the worst in my opinion.)

thirtyfour

Oct 27, 2003
Steve47 ,

what did you think of your 2000 KX ? good, bad ?
I have a 2000 KX , and like to know where it stands compare to the newer ones?

thanks

Steve47

Nov 23, 2001
The 2000 was the best of the 99-02 models! The motor was pretty strong down low and the suspension was good. The stupid bladder forks were a bit harsh but removing the bladder was the ticket. My 2000 was stock with only a V-Force and it was faster than my 03. The thing with the old design is that the bike was big and wouldn't turn as tight as other bikes. Still I loved my 2000 KX.

The new design handles a lot better but the only thing is that the bike is pretty small for a tall guy, a tall seat is required.

djr

Apr 22, 2002
Thirtysomething,
I ask bigred455 the same thing because he has a 2000 and 03. My take on what he said was the motor on the 2000 was stronger all over but the newer generation bikes were smaller feeling and turned better. I have a 2000 set up for GNCC full Pro-Curcuit motor and suspension, 11 oz. Steahly, and GPR steering damper and was considering a 03-04. My bike pulls from bottom to the top but is not a top end screamer. It will lug and pull a tall gear easily but goes through each gear too quickly for me.

Dale

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
The 00 KX250 motor will pull a taller gear without a hitch compared to the 03.The 00 ran through the power to quick for me though grabbing gears too quick, it came on harder than the 03,but it went south kinda of quick. Dont get me wrong it was a strong motor,but bottom -mid the top did not suit me.The 03 motor stock is not as strong down low as the 00 it is good enough though for me,but go a gear early being a little less than perfect the motor will not come on. It has a REALLY good fun surge in the mid and it has more spread than the 00 definetly. The top on the 03 pulls wihout flatten out like the 00,the 00 RPMS just screamed up top with no pull no spread what so ever.The 03 pulls longer up top than the 00, it feels like the rpms are not laboring (not screaming) like the 00.Put it to you like this when you reach the top on the 03 you can hold it longer without saying to yourself I better back off or shift. The 03 is definetly spread out more than the 00. The suspension and handling will put the 00 to shame I absolutely love the new kx cornering habits the bike is very solid,plush and stable.

Last edited:

Razorback

Jul 12, 2002
Well I went for the 04.My first ride will be this friday at Elsinore.Thanks for the input.Almost evryone said the same thing about the 03 vs 04. 04 better motor, 03 better suspension or at least easier to tune.My last question is how is the 04 suspension vs the 02.I thought the 02 forks were really stiff.The rear seemed good and I had no trouble dialing it in.I also had to lean the 02 over pretty far to get through tight corners so fresh tires were a must.

Steve47

Nov 23, 2001
Congrats man, get your forearms warmed up before the first ride cause the 04 motor will stretch them right coming out of corners.

For the forks, they are on the soft side but will give you a (stiff sensation) harsh in the midstroke. Have someone who knows suspension release the bladder (remove the top seal) and it will be much better.

Steve47

Nov 23, 2001
Oh BTW, if you try to ride the 04 like the 02 in the corners (I mean sitting on the gas cap for the thing to turn) you'll spin out and end up facing the wrong direction!!! . The new frame turns, no need to sit up front as much. I would recommend sliding the forks down a bit until you get used to it else you're in for a couple 180.

NWMyers#5

Jan 23, 2004
I'm curious on this subject as well. I'm just getting back into riding after a 4 year overseas tour in the Air Force where riding was pretty much non existent. I was a faithful Team Green rider in High School...80's, and a 125. I would like to stay with them. I have been doing a lot of research on the new bikes and my main type of riding will be Woods riding. Only bad thing I've heard about the new 250 is it's lack of top end which really won't be an issue since I plan on doing little MXing if any. The differences between the 03 and 04 were described in part in the above replies with the jist of it being the 03 had better suspension and the 04 a better motor. My question is.. would the 04 motor be better enough to go out and spend close to a grand more on it? Any info would be great. I want to start shopping soon so I can begin prepping for several local cross countries. Got a lot of work to do to get anywhere close to be where I used to be... Top 10's.... god I missed racing!!!!

Razorback

Jul 12, 2002
Well I took the bike to Elsinore today.I mainly ride the vet track and sometimes the GFI.The GFI was closed and the Vet track was in really bad shape today.Worst I've seen it on a Friday in a long time.Severly rutted exiting almost every corner and the low lines were mush with gooey slick mud.

Engine:Smooth easy to use power with good bottom and mid.The track was so bad I really couldn't get on it much to see how she ran up top.Ive read that this years motor was much better than the privious 2 years but I felt that my 02 engine with a Fatty pipe and a delta force had more punch than the stock 04.I'm not complaining because I had zero arm pump and the bike was very easy to manage and plenty fast.I would consider the motor better because it is so smooth but for people that like a big hit they may be disapointed.

suspension:I really like it! The fork is so much better than my 02.Much more plush but did not bottom and it handled the chop really good.The rear was very stable and plush and did not bottom either but the best part is that it doesn't kick up in the back if I leave a jump wrong.If I stay just barely on the gas comming off the top of the jumps the bike jumps really nice with front wheel slightly higher than the rear and it's easy to bring the front down for smooth landings.The steering was my favorite part of all.Even with the stock Bridestones the bike had great steering.I was able to smoke through the S section with eezzzzz on a moist track.As the track began to dry out the tires did not bite well at all but new tires are already in the works.
The bike starts right up second kick,idles nice after turning the screw in 4 full turns.I hate a bike that won't idle.Smokes a tiny bit on warmup then runs real clean.No spooge on the end of the pipe just a little bit of black residue.Jetting was great.No sputter or hickups.

I'm happy with the bike.It has what I wanted most,great steering and plush but not soft suspension and smooth power.I've read that the 04 engine is a great deal better than the 02 and 03 but I don't see much change.I've always felt that the 02 engine got a real rap from the magazines because I liked mine and I like this one as well.I've never tried the 03.

Lastly the ergos fit me just fine.5' 10.5" 210 lbs.I didn't move a thing from how it was delivered.I've also read that the bike is cramped for taller riders.People taller than me may find it cramped but I had all the room I needed. :thumb:

Steve47

Nov 23, 2001
Glad you liked it! I don't understand what you found in the 02 motor but I didn't like mine at all. The punch you're describing was because the thing was all midrange, nothing else. I bet the Fatty and V-Force gave helped you quite a bit. The bottom end of the 04 is much better (stock anyway). I can ride a gear higher anywhere on the 04. (It doesn't feel like it but believe me it will pull it just fine)

Now the suspension... I liked mine for 2 weeks, that's it!!!!! It will break in and will be soft and the forks will be harsh on braking bumps. Seriously, I was impressed with mine but after 2 weeks, I was crying for help at my suspension guy.

Bottom line, it's a very good bike. It just needs a good suspension setup.

Razorback

Jul 12, 2002
Steve47 Thanks for the input.After my second ride on Sunday everything is still all good.I got on the power much harder Sunday and she ran great.As you said the bike can pull me running a gear tall no problem.If the suspension remains as it is I will be happy but if not they all need some tweaking.I liked the 02 engine because up till the time I bought it I had been riding a KDX220 and the power was much stronger.I also ride MX tracks a lot but I'm not a racer so I probably don't demand as much from the engine as others do.Stay green and stay healthy. :thumb:

Tomck

Feb 13, 2004
Razorback,

I was very interested in your comments on the 2004 KX250. I am looking for a "two-stroke play bike" (thread by that name in the "What Bike to Get" forum). Do you think that the KX250 would be suitable for someone who just wants to have a play bike and climb some hills (might consider a heavier flywheel from Kawasaki), or would it be tiring for that kind of use? I really like the idea of the strong low and mid RPM power, and the excellent handling/suspension. I checked the FMF site, and they offer a Q silencer and spark arrestor. Thanks.

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
would the 04 motor be better enough to go out and spend close to a grand more on it
Not when you can have Eric Gore port it for $150. The result on ANY of the mentioned years will be better that the differences in OEM power. Will port to suit your taste. 265cc big bore (w/ porting) is $400. Get bottom-mid porting selection with this and you WILL have a serious tractor in your hands...

Top Bottom