Should I get new bars, which ones?

binthedirtnow

Mar 29, 2005
I've been considering getting a different handlebar on my 2002 kx125. The current ones are renthal 726's. The problem is the bars seem a little cramped to me. I don't want to just move 'em forward too much because they sit at a funny angle. I'm 5'9" with short legs. I like to feel the most confortable while standing. I want my arms to be in a good leverage position while standing. Right now they feel a little too low and close to my lap, so I don't feel I have much leverage. Like my arms are a bit too straight at the elbows and angled pointing more down right now. What would you guys recommend?? :aj:
B.

Tom Cox

May 16, 2003
Get some help.

Since you already know which Renthal bars you have and Renthal provides the dimensions of all their bars, get a friend to help you. No one can tell you which bars are correct for you. You already recognize what you don't like about the bars you're using. Try and follow what I describe below and have a friend take measurements relative to your existing bars and determine what you should have.
The old tried and true method of finding bars that are right for you. Sit or stand on your bike in your normal riding position. Not the position that you comfortably sit on it, casually in your garage. The way you sit or stand when riding. Hold your hands and arms above your head. Close your eyes. Let your arms and hands fall naturally towards the bars. See where your hands land. If the palm of your hand does not fall on the hand grip portion of the bar, adjust the bars forward or back until your palm lands on the bar. If the bars are to narrow, to wide, to short or to tall, put your hands where they seem most comfortable and take a measurement relative to your existing bars. Remember when you ride you typically hold your elbows out from your body. (If you sit most of the time while riding your arm should have a slight down angle from your elbow to the wrist.) Now close your hand around the bar in your normal grip. Does your hand extend straight from your wrist or is it at a little bit of an angle right or left. If it's at a large angle, the bars are not the correct bend. Your hands should extend straight out from your wrist. If this is not the case, it is either the bend of the bars, or they're to wide or to narrow. (If the bars are to wide or to narrow you should have determined that in the first step.) Again, what is the angle of your hand to your wrist /arm? The top of your hand should be straight or a near straight extension of your arm.
You want to spread the pressure equally across the palm of your hand. If when you ride, you find blisters in select areas or skin being worn off due to friction or abrasion, the bars are not correct for you. Undue pressure is being put on the effected areas. If your wrist is at to much of an angle it will tire quickly and arm pump and fatigue will occur because of the acute angle your wrist is at. If you spend most of your riding time standing, it will make a difference in selecting the correct bars. You need to go through the routine in your normal standing position. Start by sitting and find the correct bar width and then stand to determine the correct bend.
I didn't say it would be easy. Fortunately I've been able to sell all the test bars I've purchased. If you have buddies that will loan you a set of bars that makes it better. Or you can try their bikes if they're the same make and model as yours to see if the bar selection will work for you. There is no perfect bar bend that will work for both standing and sitting. Determine which you do most and pick the bend to best suit that. You should not be in the alternate riding position long enough for it to adversely effect you. If you are, you need to re-think your selection.
You may notice people that ride stadium events or Super Cross and still race outdoor MX try and use the same bar by tipping it forward to get everything at the right angle for standing up and riding. Then they tip them back down for racing MX.

binthedirtnow

Mar 29, 2005
Thanx for replying to a question I have been pondering since I got the bike. Also, your advise is excellent!!! I'm going to do exactly as you suggest. Unfortunately, I don't have any riding buddies yet, so I'm on my own with this. Again, thanx for your help. :cool:
B.

Top Bottom