Should I spend the extra $$ for a KTM

EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
I am starting to ride again after a long layoff. I ride trails and I do not race. I ride about 1 or 2 times a month. I am about 6'0"/200 Lbs.

It's time for me to get a new bike. I am considering a KDX 220 as well as a KTM EXC 200/250. If I move to a thumper, I'm considering the KTM 400/520 RFS (my wife got me a WR 250F for my birthday, but I returned it).

My questions is: is it worth if for me to spend significantly more on a KTM when I don't really ride that much or race? While I don't want to waste money (there are good deals to be had on KDX's), I really don't want to buy a bike and be bummed out in 6 months because it's a "Beginners' Bike."

Also, assuming I go with the KTM, should I stick with a 2-stroke or should I get a thumper (for even MORE money)?

Finally, I heard that the '02 4-strokes can get "green stickers" in California. Is that true? How hard is it to find a place to ride with a "red sticker" in CA?

I posted a similar message on the KDX forum so I can hear from people from both perspectives.

Thanks!!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I'm not real familiar with the whole green/red sticker business but it would seem that a green sticker bike would be a better choice especially if your not racing. As far as which one? I'm a little bias :silly: I say go EXC 300 if it's green sticker compatible, if not because it's a 2 stroke well the RFS bikes ARE nice. KDX's do have decent "hop-upability" so if you go that route it may not be as dead ended as you think. For me I pretty much bleed orange but have given some consideration to the CRF and YZF.

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
You have issues

first off you need to figure out if you want a 2s or a 4s very important.

for trail riding I still like a 2s even though most like a 4s. Its just what I like so I do not feel that anyone here can tell you what YOU like.

what do want from a bike, if you want something reliable and notwant to spend booko $$$$ to fix, scratch off KTM.

Go the the KTM fourm if you would like to see some odd problems.

Do not listen to MXA magazine when makeing your choice because they get paid good $$$ to say good things about Yamaha just for the $$$ not for you.

DRN forums I feel is the best place to obtain info, however you need to be keen enough to weed through the garbage that MXA has fed some of these kids.

I Think the KTMs are a great RACE bike but somtimes having the best race bike comes with its downs as well.

seeing that you need a green sticker Put all the bike that qualify on that list and scratch off as you go....hope it helps

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Originally posted by Patman
For me I pretty much bleed orange but have given some consideration to the CRF and YZF.

Patman - You trader! I got my deposit back on the CRF and went orange again. So back off with those funny (non orange) colors.

EBOD;

Why not find a used KDX, get back into riding first? Do not dump ANY money into it, just ride it. Then go buy a KTM the RFS exc-G models are green sticker bikes. A KTM 400 rfs would be an awesome bike for you IMO.

ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
EBOD,

Had an 01 200 exc, wonderful bike! Had a riding buddy who had a KDX220, he rode the KTM, and bought it from me. My '02 400 MXC will be here next week....definitely staying orange!!! The guy with my old 200 still can't believe how much more he ended up spending on the green machine to try to get it to where the KTM was out of the box!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Strick, blame Rich and AJ for putting these twisted thoughs in my pea brain. I think a RFS in 400MXC dress would be just about perfect turning one up when I can pull it off may be another deal all together. I've also lusted for a FX470 'berg the past couple weeks but the whole Buck Rogers thing keeps getting brought up.

W.P.EXC

Nov 30, 2000
Go KTM

Another option if you don't want to spend alot of cash is to go with a used KTM. There are some out there that are good deals. I will say this,I ride a 99 KTM 300 EXC and it is by far the best bike I have ever owned. I bought this bike after a way to long lay off from riding. I have ridden Jap bikes my whole life but if KTM continue making bikes like they are right now I will never go back. In short go orange, you won't be dissapointed. :)

rollingp

Oct 31, 2001
why to buy ktm over jap

I ride 25and 30 A mx here in Indiana and Michigan (REDBUD)
I have been riding ktms since 98 and I have baught a new one each year.
This year I rode a 520sx and I just sold it for 900 less than I paid for it.
The other bikes were 380sx,s.
You can get most dealers to come way down on the out the door price if you have cash. I never paid over5100.00 for the 380,s and the 520 was 6000.
These are out the door prices for cash and out of state address.(no tax that way). You will not be sorry if you buy a ktm. They do not need the maint. that jap bikes need. I will never buy another jap bike as long as ktm offers the qaulity machines they have.They come wiyh magura bars, 4 way adjustable clamp, twin air filter, o-ring chain, good sprockets, semi gripper seat,silkscreened emblem with clear cover on shrouds, reversable rear axle for gearing changes,no linkage means less unsprung weight. shock removable without removing subframe,rear wheel,seat or any other part.
easy access air filter,excell rims, raised doubl rim locks, preload ajustable forks, high lo damping on shock, replacable bearings in brake pedal instead of the crummy bushing,forged levers with breaking points in the event of a crash. Bushed levers ,(you can replace the brass bushing instead of the lever
when the get sloppy, chrome spokes,true chromoly frame that is powder coated,frame gaurds,etc...etc...

DEGBERT

Jan 30, 2001
I have had 2 Yam. (YZ250) and 3 KTMs (380SX, 300EXC, 520SX). The quality of the KTMs is 10X better than any Jap. bike. After 1 season on the yz every thing was loose and sacked out. My 300 still feels brand new after 2 hard seasons, no problems at all, the bike is absoluty bullet proof. The only Jap. bike I would even think of buying is a Honda. Pay the extra and buy quality, you won't be sorry.

kadman

Mar 14, 2000
I went from a 99 KDX 220 to a 00 250 EXC about a year ago.The KDX is a great trail bike and will lug a guy through woods great. The susp. is not great but it was a great trail bike. I am much faster at race speeds on the KTM and feel much safer at race speeds on the KTM. If you do mostly trail riding you will be very happy on the KDX.If you get one and decide to do a little modification to it Jeff Fredette is the man. Good Luck

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
If you post this question over on the KDX forum you'll probably get a whole slew of different answers. Ditto on the Thumper forum.

How do you like your existing bike? What did you ride before? What type of trails do you ride? Whats your favorite color? do you have any unresolved conflicts in your past with other colors? How do you feel about mixing gas? Do you hate/love doing top ends? Are you prepared to spend the time to resolve this issue?

In my experience the KDX will be a little nimbler at low speeds say less than 15mph. The ktm is more stable at high speed. The power on a stock 220 will pull like a tractor from the very bottom sign off soon unless the motor has some mods and the ktm has less flywheel effect at very low revs and decent overrev. The Ktm will ride over things you will and can ride around on the kdx.

In a similar situation a couple of seasons ago I bought a kdx because it was a begginer freindly bike and it instilled confidence. I hadn't spent more than an occasional few minutes on anything for 30 years. Now after two seasons of riding and extensive mods to the kdx I'm looking to go orange. If i didn't start with the kdx I probably wouldn't have progressed as fast.

Don't worry it's not your last bike!

johnpace2

~SPONSOR~
Dec 5, 2000
Where do people get the idea that KTM's require more maintenance than other bikes?

My 2002 125 SX is a freaking work of art. Quality components are everywhere and this bike flat out rips. I'd say the quality is at least on par with Honda, and more than likely the quality is better!

Also, if you look for the right dealer you won't end up paying more. I paid $4,600 out the door for my 2002. Sure you'll pay more for one of the bigger bikes, but find a good dealer and you'll get a good price.

KTM's rule!

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Dude,

A stock KDX will feel like a moped compared to a KTM 300 or 400. I had a '99 KDX 200 with the usual mods, replaced it after just 4 months with a '99 300EXC. 2 weeks ago a bud brought over a new '00 KDX200 and we did the pipe/jetting/bars/chain/airbox/etc thing to it. Man, what a pup, even after the mods. I had the Rev pipe on mine, and we put a Torque on his. I'll take the Rev any day thank you 'cuz the KDX needs all the help in the HP department it can get, plus the add'l revs broaden the total usable power.

All this said, the main thing is to get riding again. If you could pick up a modded KDX in near new condition for a good price this would get you going, but if you get reasonably fast and update your riding skills around the modern bikes you will want something else.

If you want to go blast and fart around, then hey the KDX or an XR will do the job. If you think you may get into it and really learn how to ride again, then get something else. In all fairness, you most likely will find out that your memory of your previous riding ability exceeds what it actually was. Most of us re-entry 30 or 40-something riders find out this is the case, me included. Unless you were a competitive B class or better racer in the mid-80s, you are going to have to learn how to ride the modern bikes from scratch.

Best of luck,

yota

Oct 9, 2001
I've had a ktm 200 since 98. Ridden hard and extremely reliable. You can't beat a mahle forged piston. I just ordered an 02 sx 125. I also have a yz250f. I highly recommend the ktm 200 for woods riding. Go to a major enduro event and count ktm 200's. nuff said.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Thanks, yota. Nothing like re-igniting the "KTM200 vs. KDX200" debate and the "KTM200 is the best woods bike" debate all in one little post! :p

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
To quote Clark "Sparky" Griswold (from "Vacation"): You guys are all @#$%$# in the head. Yamamoto is right. Those damn KTMs are nothing but trouble. It seems like all I do is work on them. Just a week ago, I had to adjust that damn O-ring chain for the second time in as many months. You'd think you ought to get more than five or six days' trail riding and two or three cross-country races out of a chain adjustment!

Not only that, but the air filter keeps getting dirty, and I have to clean it. Man, what's up with that? The brake pads keep wearing out, and after two years on the stock piston and rings, I only have 175 pounds of compression! I'll probably have to replace those rings at the end of this racing season, or the next. Forged Mahle piston my a$$.

What good is all that fancy European craftsmanship when crap like this keeps happening? My advice is to buy a one-year-old YZ 125 that some teenaged racer has completely clapped out. Sure, it will have about 30 pounds of compression, but hey! It will kick over easier. And every moving part will be worn out, every tolerance about twice what it was stock, but it's a Yamaha, not one of those orange piles of junk. How much could it cost to maintain?
:p

Top Bottom