Should I spend the extra $$ for a KTM

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
EBOD,

There is a lot of good info in this thread (alot of KTM b.s. too).

I would have to say, though, Strick hit the nail on the head.
Go buy a used KDX or what ever fits you wallet & ride it for a season. You might find that a bike that you originally thought would be ideal would have been all wrong for the type of riding you like now.

Once you have a bike you will probably be able to mooch rides off of various ridding buddies bikes & make a better decision on what will fit YOUR needs.

zeroo

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 31, 2000
Kinda like askin if the beemer is worth the extra $.I had a 300 before and could not stand the jetting issue,but that bike was awesome.the powerband was incredible(once jetted).The rfs is complete ('02) and you will get used to the turning!:)

sharp

Sep 30, 2001
My riding budy has a '98 300 EXC that he purchased new. He races the SERA /SETRA races in the Senior B class. He rides the hell out of the bike. He just replaced the top end for the FIRST time last month. I owned a '96 300 exc that I sold this year. I tried to break that bike but it wouldn't break. I tried making it rev like a 125, it wouldn't break. I would let it warm up about as long as I would let my weed eater warm up and then go rippin at WOT, but it just wouldn't break. I didn't want the bike to go to someone else because, you see, I was having an affair with a Gas Gas and I wanted both (wife said "NO"). But she (katoomer) wouldn't break and I had to let another have my steed:( I guess, in retrospect, I could have pretended it was broke:silly:

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Strick

Originally posted by zeroo
Kinda like askin if the beemer is worth the extra $, I had a 300 before and could not stand the jetting issue,but that bike was awesome.the powerband was incredible(once jetted).The rfs is complete ('02) and you will get used to the turning!:)

Well yes, as a matter of fact the beemer is worth the extra $$. I have a 2000 BMW (auto) to go along with my German (austrian) dirtbikes. The 300 KTM is the 'perfect bike' (IMO), and getting it dialed is worth it!

Isn't this Fun??:debil:

Mr. Mark

Jan 6, 2000
I had a `00 220 KDX before I bought my `00 300 E/XC. I replaced the stock pipe and silencer and it went like stink. No rejetting required (unlike my 300). It was loads of fun in the woods with one exception. I always felt a little cramped on it and if you're 6 ft 200 lbs I'd think you be a little big for it. The KTM 250/300 would fit you better. The market seems flooded with used 2 strokes right now since the 4 strokes are the current industry darlings. I'd buy somthing used, 1-2 years old if I were you.

Just my $.02
Mark

FOO-FOO BIKE

Nov 11, 2001
Bottom line. The KTM is going to out last anything else.They make a size and version(EXC,MXC,SX) for what your needs are. They come with all the good stuff (bars, chain, rims) etc. I have never replace a KTM clutch. I averaged 1 top end a year with the KTMS. Others including Honda,Yamahas, Suzukis, and even Kawasaki KDXs , at lease 2 top ends and more than likely a clutch or two every year , not to mention replacing all the junk controls and cables. The KTM will save you money in the long run. As far as the set up Talk to the right people, for the riding you do, you'll be fine. There are Cadillacs and ther are Chevys, you choose.

Top Bottom