sicmic

Apr 8, 2006
Hi, I've just started racing and I don't know whether I should use the clutch when changing gears. I always have in the past but my cousin who races says that he doesn't even use the clutch when he changes gears. So should I use it? Thanks.

ComradeMikhail

Mi. Trail Riders
May 2, 2005
It depends. Would you rather have transmission wear, or clutch wear? If you don't use your cutch, I don't care who says otherwise, it will wear out your transmission eventually. I use my clutch all the time, but people don't. It works either way, just make sure you're off the gas when you shift without the clutch.

sicmic

Apr 8, 2006
I'm talking about shifting when racing, so full-throttle shifting. Considering that I'll probably only have the bike for a year or so I'm not really worried about the wear on the gearbox.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
No, you don't need to use the clutch, chop the throttle a tad and grab a gear, it all happens in less than a blink of an eye

sicmic

Apr 8, 2006
Ok, thanks. By chopping the throttle, you mean just a bit huh? ie not all the way back to zero throttle?

Just out of curiosity, do the pro's use the clutch at all when they change gear? If not, I'm guessing they don't bother chopping the throttle seeing as they don't need to make their gearboxes last?

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
If you listen to a pro ride, you'll usually hear "bbbrrraaaaa-EE-aaaaaa-EE-aaaaaa" That sound is them keeping the throttle pinned, and at the same time pulling up on the shift lever and tapping the clutch.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
My '77 YZ 125 would shift without any use of the clutch, even with the throttle pinned.

Onlookers would think it was automatic. :)

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
sicmic said:
Ok, thanks. By chopping the throttle, you mean just a bit huh? ie not all the way back to zero throttle?

Yeah, chop was a bad term to use, it's just a quick flick, almost nothing

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
When racing it seems that most people keep it pinned and just slip the clutch a tiny bit while grabbing the next gear. Not pulling it all the way in or anything, just giving it a little slip. I think that would be the best thing for the life of the transmission.

dnchevyman

Dec 27, 2005
Masterphil said:
If you listen to a pro ride, you'll usually hear "bbbrrraaaaa-EE-aaaaaa-EE-aaaaaa" That sound is them keeping the throttle pinned, and at the same time pulling up on the shift lever and tapping the clutch.

good explination, pull the clutch in a little bit, to soften the blow when shifting into the next gear.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I think you are hearing it right, shifts will be quicker, smoother, and result in less internal damage, if you pin it and give a little clutch love when it's time to shift up. Downshifting is another story, the clutch will help reduce wheel lockup, but if I read it correctly, you are on a thumper, and most of the people on similar bike seem to like something called engine braking. I ride a 2-stroke and pull in the clutch when I brake. I also downshift while braking, so the bike is in the right gear to escape the corner.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
dnchevyman said:
good explination, pull the clutch in a little bit, to soften the blow when shifting into the next gear.
It is also particularly helpfull in giving a little boost of power to help get my fatter-than-should-be-on-a-125 ass moving.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom