KawiRider

Sep 23, 2000
I was wondering what my son should get. We ran hare scrambles, he races in the 80cc class. If he did get a KX 100, he would have to ride in the "C" 125 class. The thing is is that he is 5'6, and 143 pounds, he is not fat, it is all muscle :p Should my son race the 80cc class stillwithwith stiffer springs, or would that take to much on the clutch, or should my son race the KX 100?

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong Forum, I am not sure where I should post this.

-Thanks

YZ85er

Aug 8, 2001
stick with 80s...

Hello!!!! you posted it in the right forum... i would get either a YZ85 or a CR80 Expert...im almost positive he would have too ride in the 125c class is he had a 100... the reason i was referring the YZ85 is that it is by fFAR the tallest 80cc bike they make besider the CR80 expert and i know in big motocross events you have too run them in either mini open or 125 classes because they have the much larger wheel.... if i was you i would get your son a YZ85 because they have a few inches on the other regular 85s.. and there suspension is the best... im not sure about this but i think you might stiffen the suspension and gain a few inches off the showroom seat height... u can find more information at www.yamaha-motor.com about the YZ85 ..... the reason i would not go with the 100 is bucause he would have too race in the 125 class or Open Mini im not sure weather they have open mini in Hare scrambles but i Know they wont let one race in the 80 class!!!!! I hope i helped!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I wouldn't get anything but a full framed bike if I were you. You think he may grow a bit? He can ride a 125 now. Why waste time(and money) with the 100?
He's getting too big for those baby bikes. Sorry yz85er :p

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
How much experience does he have riding? That could be a deteriming factor. If he has never ridden a bike before at all, even though he is big enough, I would not go with a 125 or even a 100 MX bike. And you might even think about finding a cheap older bike, trail or maybe a dual sport, to start on just for a few months then go with the 125 MX.
My son, 12, 5'0", 100lbs is now on an XR100 4-stroke it is not near enough bike for him and we will be moving him to an 80 cross bike soon. But it is his first bike and three months ago when we bought it he couldn't have handled anything bigger.
The local Gas Gas dealer (who also buys and sells used bikes) just took a 2000 KX85 in that has only been ridden twice becase it was given to a kid with no experience. The kid looped it the second time he rode it and is now scared of bikes and won't ride at all.

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
HiG4s, I think he said he races......:think

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by Jaybird
HiG4s, I think he said he races......:think

Dooo! Sorry, I read it as he was planning to race not that he already races.
Then my answer is don't get him a bike he is going to out grow right away. At least a 100 at that size.

JJmxr

Nov 14, 1999
I say go to a 125. If he has skills on his 80 then he wil take to the 125 with no problem. My son is 13 5'5" 118lbs, and will be ready for the 125 by summer. Your bigger kid will be fine. The only problem I see with the kids on 125s is when they crash, getting the bike up and fired can be tough.

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
If you do get him a 100 he would have to race Supermini or 125 on it. Supermini is a very competitive (usually) class and most of the kids who race it are awesome. The 100 cant keep up with 125's tho (Well i did see a guy on a ttr-125 beat half the field in 125C, but he had an A license).
If he wants to race 80's get anything but a Suzuki. If he wants to race 125's get a
1.YZ250F
2.KTM 125SX
3.The rest of the 125 2 strokes

LoP

Jun 17, 2001
125 all the way!

I agree, I think a 125 would be my choice. If your boy is responsible enough to handle it - he will get the most (fun) out of a 125....and might buy you a few years before you see a 250 on his x-mas list. I went from a mx100 -great beginner bike. Honed my skills on a yz80 "teary eyed -miss that bike" and jumped straight to a cr250 with no problems...cept trying to keep dad off my bike!!! Now own the 500 (think i finally met my match)

KJ

Top Bottom