Dec 31, 2008
has anyone here suffered a shoulder injury? i have a rotator cuff injury and I am wondering what healing time is? i took some pills they gave me for 6 weeks, doc said lay off it for 6 weeks and i did. then my shoulder felt better, not 100% but it wasnt painfull, just felt a little weak.so i went back to normal with it and......well now i have gone full circle again and am on the pills again and will be starting physical therapy next week. anyone been in my shoes? how long will it be until I am 100% if ever? day to day activities are fine with mild pain but something strenuous like riding track i can forget about it for now.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
I have a slight tear, but doesn't sound as serious as yours. Can't sleep on my side, working const will bother it when I use my arm in certain ways. For me, the pain comes and goes... but it's always there somewhat. Have talked to those that say when they can no longer raise their elbow above their shoulder it's time for surgery. I seperated my shoulder about 6 years ago which actually helped the rotator cuff issue for a while, Dr said the joint is lined up differently now and the cuff-tear area is not as irritated... this was true for only a while.

Both my shoulders are bad and sleeping is the biggest problem.

Good luck with it, anti-inflamitories help me.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I also have a torn rotator cuff. It's been a few years since the injury. I saw the ortho doc a couple years ago after the pain never seemed to let up. They injected it with steroids and gave me some anti-inflammatory meds. It was about 50% better for a few months. I'm an Auto Tech which puts alot of strain on it. I too have the most trouble at night. Seems anymore no matter how I fall asleep it gets frozen and feels like there's a needle jabbing me way down deep when I try to move it. It loosens up once I get up and get moving. The doc wants to do surgery on it and lately I've really been considering it before it lands me unable to work at the pace I do. I'd really like to hear from some people who have had it done to know what kind of rehab and recovery time I'm looking at. Also if it completely eliminates the pain or just eases it.

Dec 31, 2008
i think sleeping on my side is a major issue and could be one of the main problems contributing to the pain and slowing down the healing time. I am going to force my self to sleep on my back from here on out. even if the shoulder is 100%. we'll see how it goes.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
My oldest son Ryan had the front blown out, I am to understand that usually its the back part that blows out? Par for him, the estimated 1 year to total release, was about 3~4 months! Best of luck, and follow the Docs orders!

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
For me it's the fronts. 30+ years of swinging a hammer? I'm sure a few get-offs with arms stretched out-front had nothing to do with it. :think: :nod:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
I'm sure a few get-offs with arms stretched out-front had nothing to do with it. :think: :nod:

Yeah, that's how mine happened. Over the bars in the whoops. :bang:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
For me it's the fronts. 30+ years of swinging a hammer? I'm sure a few get-offs with arms stretched out-front had nothing to do with it. :think: :nod:
When are y'all going to learn that the landing is softer when the bike is *under* you?!?

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
High Lord Gomer said:
When are y'all going to learn that the landing is softer when the bike is *under* you?!?
:clue: Hmmm, good goal.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Tore my right one about 25 years ago. For years couldn't sleep on my right (natural way to sleep for me) side. Much better now and only bothers me if I play much tennis or throw a football. Throwing softball or baseball, for some reason, never bothered it. Swinging mini sledge underneath truck Saturday trying to break free u-joint yoke bolts bothered it enough for two days of Advil. Good this morning. At least you have a physician who isn't trying to rush you into the operating room. Listen to your doctor, but use operation only as last resort is my advise. Watch overhead activities, they seem to hurt the most. Good luck !!
I see a lot of surgeries as a workers' comp defense attorney. Some turn out good and some not so good. Of course it's hard to tell because everyone of the son of a guns tell the judge "it hurts sooooo bad" after the surgery because of the secondary gain, i.e. money from the court.
But I was supposed to have a knee surgery when I was 18 for torn mcl. Didn't and was playing football within 6 months and knee fine today. Supposed to have back surgery at 40 for blown L4/L5 disk. Didn't and back is great today. Supposed to have shoulder surgery at 25 and didn't. Shoulder is fine today. Supposed to have neck surgery at 45. Didn't and neck comes and goes, but never as bad as when it was really hitting on the nerve for those four or five months. I've luckily avoided buying a new wing on an orthopoedic surgeon's house. But when you see as many surgeries as I do in my line of work, the last thing you want to do is have one. I've still had plenty of surgeries, but mainly for things like biopsies, lump removals, thyroid and appendix. I'm not as afraid of the knife as I am messing with the joints. But I've known plenty of people outside of workers' comp patients that have had some good results. Lot of my friends are now getting total knee replacements they put off until they were old enough. Most having good results. Couple, not so good.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I applaud your resistance 2strokerfun! I also am ducking the knife on squishy spinal areas! Ryan went for the shoulder job, after his arm would, flop out of socket, seemingly, weekly, and doing the least of normal activities, going to the bathroom? My wife had the lower back disc job. Good for 5 years, then it comes back, no pun intended. Here again though, it was so bad,,,,. She even had this ghastly, through the neck area, cage and fusion crap, when you can not lift your arms, ding ding ding, its time to go? This one is doing better, yet she has NEVER raced, got in any wrecks, the crap happens rule? I had a front row seat! The heck with all that noise, get in shape, and daddies little helpers(lyrica), the hot tub, and getting back into shape! When they do the neck job, they go through the front, ICKY! I get the seemingly best fool with tools, on a simple collar bone job, "he is the best" with retired people that is, not me: http://www.dirtrider.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=3191&c=3&userid=73147, thats the plate that broke, after he released me, good to go, back to work? A simple process of using 2, 14" pipe wrenches, and taking apart a half inch union, pop goes the crappy plate! No day in court for this guy, odd? No, not done yet, the doc figures a bigger plate, and a piece of my hip to be the ticket, OKAY FINE, lets get her done: http://www.dirtrider.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=3232&c=. Now who would have thought, that screw to the outside sunk into my arm socket, he was bagging on me, for whining about the pain, and called me addicted to vicodin, he truly deserved a punch in the NOSE!, after the xray, "yeah I was thinking that went in too deep" What a piece of work this knife guy was/is? Simple enough procedure, but, the little extra shot, he gave me and sent me home, I thought I was dying! Hello vicodin over dose? Nope, I am still here, that bigger plate, really needs to come out. It got warm, shall we say, in a simple mri? The materials they use, in theory, should not do that. What little I know of metal properties, where did this"surgical grade material come from" Harbour freight, maybe? And their pledge, of not touching each others work, its still in, and no sleeping on my left shoulder, still! Fools with tools are everywhere, everyone takes issues differently, and I am just not the lets go sue kinda guy. Well, especially when I tried, the most ADVERTISED fool with tools in my area? Yeah, he has my folder, at the top of his desk, these things take time? For a simple workmans comp claim? 5 years of toil is going to be expensive? AYE CARUMBA! Our world is pretty messed up. If I did house rehabs, like these professionals, I would NEVER sleep, always be looking over my shoulder, and they are seemingly proud? How does this happen? Karma, all by design? Or a hint, of the downfall of our society, as we know it! Some of my best answers in LIFE, comes from this dirt bike site. And my proof, comes from the never ending stream, of my bike runs great, but, there is this spooge issue! Everything we perceive, is tied together, to the Grand Scheme of things, many are on the door step, of backing this up, with science and math. IMO, I hope to see the day, we can sit down, think about it, actually communicate within our selves, and fix what needs tending to, BUT, that may be down the road, and a very rocky one at that! My last lower back mri, its getting better, compared to the older ones! My neck, I found a good chiropractor, that pops off the calcium build up, from a compression fracture in the neck area, from 35 years ago? Yep, I remember when that happened! Dang trees are hard, and that knot I blasted out of that tree, is REALLY getting taller off the original impact height! Dang trees have a "mind" of their own, thats another story! Just Bob, with a tad of Vintage.

Dec 31, 2008
got the MRI done, turns out i have a torn labrum, and fluid from the join leaked into my shoulder area causing cysts. the cysts need to be removed and the labrum repaired. getting surgery next month. anyone had a labrum tear before?

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
I broke my right shoulder and left wrist in a bad (stupid) crash on June 18th, 2006. Overshot a 40 foot step down in a race, flat landed from about 30 feet up. To this day my shoulder still hurts. I get sharp pains along with a constant ache. I did everything the doc's told me to do, went for physio, stayed off the bike. Did everything possible to let it heal right. That was 5 1/2 years ago. I have learned to live with the pain, and it has not stopped me from riding. One of these days I'll go back to the doc's and have them look at it again, but I believe I already know what they will tell me, I'll need surgery, and that will end my riding days, possibly my job too.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
never had a labrum tear repaired, but I see it on injured workers quite often. They usually get pretty darn good results from surgery (except for the 10 minutes they spend telling the judge how much it hurts, thinking he'll give them more money.-- The surveillance video of them hurling a football 40 yards never quite matches up with the pain they tell the judge that they still feel. !! )
Listen to the doc and the physical therapist and Good Luck !!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom