smilinicon

Feb 20, 2001
I started therapy for my shoulder and arm today... I know when I was first injured I looked for a post like this, so I thought I would post it now.

I broke my right shoulder (Humorus, actually) completely through the 'Surgical Neck'. My Orthopedic described it as 'kibbles and bits', and after X-rays and an MRI, we decided that surgery would not improve things much ( I agreed as I did not want metal in my bones in these Midwest winters). I strapped on an imobilizer and took Vicodin every four hours for 14 days. There is no laying flat with a shoulder injury, but comfort can be found with properly placed pillows. I tried to eat well and on my Dr's advice began a multi-vitamin and calcium supplement (not exeding the MDA).

X-rays showed the bone healing well and the imobilizer was removed after 4 weeks. The arm was very sensitive, but soon improved daily and I began range of motion exercises. My first 'terrer-py' session went well... I feel the improvements already. I do have some serious pain and work to go before getting back to normal (I plan to get BETTER than before!)

Just writing this post to let someone know that the world doesn't end with an injury like this and things get better. If you are going riding and feel the need to not wear all of your protective gear, turn and go back home - never go without gear that can save you much trouble and pain.

EM rider

Apr 27, 2001
Good advice. I also broke my shoulder about 13 weeks ago and am almost back to 100%. Followed Dr's orders closely, went to therapy 2-3 times a week and backed-off whenever I felt pain. Suggest you avoid surgery unless there is NO other option. Once you start cutting, the recovery process becomes a lot more lengthy and complex.

If I had not been wearing a chest protector when I crashed, I probably would have cracked my sternum and broken many ribs. :scream: Don't be a fool, gear up whenever you ride.

DEA

Jul 11, 2001
braces

do you wear any shoulder braces( or knee )when ridding??? also what other equipment do you guys wear( other than chest prot.)
just getting back into it after 20yrs. ( already been over the handle bars ,there went that o'le shoulder injury, also bruised rib)" wear your chest protector even if you do plan on " putting around"
THANKS
DOUG:( :(

EM rider

Apr 27, 2001
I'm considering using a shoulder brace but have not looked at the various choices yet. Whenever I ride, even if putting around in a parking lot, I go with full safety gear. Helmet/boots/gloves/hard elbow pads/hard knee pads/kidney belt/chest protector/eye protection/pants/etc..... Good safety equipment will pay for itself over time in injury avoidance.

smilinicon

Feb 20, 2001
I wear Asterisk knee braces and while they take some getting used to, they sure protect the knees. I will get elbow guards, and/or even body armor. Next time I go riding I will look like robocop. :)

That boy-in-the-bubble thing would be good also.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
It's been 5 weeks ago today that I broke my collarbone in two places. I was doing real well by last Saturday and was conemplating riding easy this weekend. Well, that all changed when I fell on some steps last Sunday morning and hooked my elbow on the railing on the way down.:scream: It hurt worse than when I first injured it. Now I feel like I'm back to square one again. I'm back to eating Advil and trying to rest it as much as possible and applying heat to it. I don't think I rebroke it, I think I just abused the muscles again. Man this is so frustrating!:( Maybe I should have put this on the flame board, but I saw this post about shoulder injuries and thought writing this might make someone a little more careful about their rehab. :think

smilinicon

Feb 20, 2001
Sorry to hear of the re-injury.. I almost did the exact same thing 3 weeks after my accident. I think I would have still been laying there! I think I am entering the ninth week. Arm is doing well, but shoulder is still locked. Locked shoulder physical therapy is no picnic. Happy to say I can reach up and grab a throttle again (still grunting though).

hondaman22

Apr 30, 2001
What's wrong with us Physical Therapists, you act as if we are mean and conflict pain on all shoulder patients.;) As for the broken collarbone, bones take approx. 6 weeks to heal. Let time be your friend for healing, rushing back to the bike too soon will only create more problems down the road.
Oh the the JOY of torturing you patients!! :p

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
I'm planning an "easy " ride in two weeks.That'll be nine weeks after I crashed. I figure if I'm healthy enough to work at my job and seal my asphalt driveway, I'm good enough to go riding!:p Seriously, I saw my doctor on Thursday and she said it was OK to ride as long as I "stay on the bike".;) Of course she was rolling her eyes when I mentioned getting back on a bike.

Alex

Aug 2, 2001
Shoulder braceing

Are their any type of shoulder braces on the market? I am after something that offers more protection than a chest guard.

I am in my third month of recovery from a clavicle fracture, ended up having a plate put in 8 weeks after the accident, and I am not to keen to go through this one again, broken arm is one thing, but this clavicle fracture is a tough one to bounce back from, their has to be some sort of protection out their...

Cheers

Alex

hondaman22

Apr 30, 2001
In 9 wks the collarbone should be healed well enough for riding again. Progress with your riding slowly, to test out what kind of strength/pain you have. Good Luck!!! I'm going to be rusty this fall, I sold my CR500AF on July 4th and have not rode since. I'm waiting for the new CRF450 to go pick up. Should be out SOON!!
As for the gentleman with the brace question, there really is no brace specifically for keeping the collarbone from breaking, only for keeping the shoulder in the socket.:(

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
I've stressed to to riding companions that this will be a leisurely trail ride. Hopefully the fall colors will be out in force and the weather will cooperate.:cool: My doctor stated emphatically that this bone can still break much easier than it did the first time.:scream: :(

Top Bottom