DK

Feb 26, 2000
Doc said it's a 2-3rd degree separation and doesn't advise sugery. He gave me a couple exercises to keep it flexable and said the limiting factor will be how much pain I can stand as far as recovery goes. HMO ya know... It happened two weeks ago and is just starting to loosen up. Any recommendations on therapy, how soon, what and how frequent? There's snow in the mountains so riding will taper off but skiing takes up the slack. I'd hate to fall on that shoulder right now....

yam 3

May 19, 2000
Been there dude.
Follow the rehab excercises religiously. I did not and after 40 dislocations finally had to have it scoped(sp). If you feel ANY pain while doing the excercises stop. Rehab is not a no pain no gain thing. As for frequency mine was 3 times per week. Surgery is not usually done till the third separation....so I was told. Remember to do no heavy lifting.

Hokie

Sponsoring Member
Sep 28, 2000
I had an anterior dislocation 4 weeks ago (I don't know which is worse, separation or dislocation) and I started light weights (5-10lbs) after 3 weeks of doing no weights. This week I was doing push ups and heavier weights.

The pain is almost gone, althought there is some popping going on every now and then.

I got my trainer at the gym to help out since my doc did not prescribe rehab for me.

Oh yeah, this was the first time it ever happened to me, but it happened twice in one day. (I kept racing after the first one....:eek: )

Top Bottom