shoulder sprain or dislocated...

anca

Nov 7, 2003
I injured myself like a full, falling down from the bike when I was initiating a wheelie, 5mph. I made contact with the land on my ass and on my left elbow. Only when I tried to pick up the bike bike I see that I can’t move the arm close to the body. No pain, ok maybe a little!
When the doctor tried to reduce the sprain, the shoulder went almost by itself back in place, again no pain!
On the x-ray the upper part of the shoulder head was at the middle of the socket
The doctor said scapulohumeral sprain, but the more i read the more i think it’s dislocated, but then i don't know exactly the difference between the 2 types of injuries. Now i'm in something like a sling-corset for 3 weeks.
This is my first shoulder problem, so I read all I can find. All the stories are with pain, injuries hard to be reduced etc. Not my case, I have no pain if I don’t move too much under the sling.
I’m very worried about the future, it went easy out, easy in, so I think maybe from now on will be the same, pop out with ease. I had hard fallings on that shoulder in past which knocked me out but no problems till now.
Anybody with similar experience? Please tell me that after rehab it will be ok again ! Or not?

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
if total dislocation, you will know it. your arm will not function and it will feel as if a spear has been run through your shoulder blade. after it has been put back in place, you will have pain and extreme weakness while trying to lift said arm. pain will not be so bad if elbow is kept low and close to the body. pain increases as you try to lift your arm up/out. if possible, do rehab to build up all the muscles around the shoulder structure. over time, your body will compensate for the slack in your ligaments/tendons( which will not repair themselves) by using muscle. shoulder dislocations usually come from a blow to the elbow, a direct blow to the top of the shoulder and even moreso if the arm is extended. riding as a rule wont be a problem until you crash. and then it depends what and how you land on that side. get your doc to give you the exercises to build up that comprimised shoulder.

Top Bottom