wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
well I'm in the process of rebuilding my 1991 yz125 forks and came to a stop b/c I need to remove the bottom compression bolt. The tool required IS yamaha part number YM1423, or equivalent.
well the equivalent is going to have to be a piece of pipe with 4 teeth cut into it.

now my qeustion is, I can find this tool online and it says its for mos early showa and kayaba inverted forks. I was wondering if any one had one of these, if they could tell me the diameter of the tool. this way I'll know for sure it will fit snugly to fit the unit.
any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks.

mxneagle

Jan 7, 2001
You can try the impact gun method. Put your fork spring back in after draining the oil and then flip the fork over and compress it as far as you can while using the impact gun on the compression bolt. The spring force usually holds the damper cartridge in place enough for the air gun to work.

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
I found a post from some site on a google search and saw that a 2005 yz250f has the same tool required, and what he did was took a 1" outside diameter piece of gas pipe (black pipe from hardware store) and made a cross shape in one end of it. I just bought a 2' length of it and used a air cutting wheel to make the cross.
As a template I used a small craftsman center punch as my thick ness of each "leg" on the cross, worked great, Otherwise I would of had to buy it for like $30. I would probably still be waiting for it too. Now I have a homemade tool, the forks are rebuilt and are now on my xr600.
finally, YZ125 inverted forks on my 93 xr600, sweetness. can't wait for spring. Now I just need to make a bracket for my front caliper and my cbr wheels will be complete also. :)

oop it seems I may have gone of track little.

Top Bottom