Shred Bettys Defend Title!!! 24 Hr Grand Prix

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Instead of passing out candy over the Halloween weekend, the Shred Betty's were racing the 2nd Annual 24 Hours of Starvation Ridge Grand Prix up in Washington State, defending their first place title. This year's all-woman team represented four states (Idaho, California, Washington, and Oregon), and all women rode KTMs.

The Shred Betty's had tough competition from another women's team this year, The Over The Bars Gang Ladies had some wicked fast racers, however, in the end the Betty's retained their title. Team work prevails!! Over 100 Teams were present at this year's race. The Over The Bars Gang did an outstanding job setting up the course and providing an awesome experience for all the racers.

Our team consisted of:

Katy Betty: Rides a KTM450, hails from Oregon, brought a well-seasoned Pit Hubby with her, brought in the final laps for the Betty's and pulls significantly fast night laps. Kept the team focussed and inspired. Has a terrific sense of team spirit!

Kimberly Betty: Rides a KTM400, hails from Washington state, has the hookup on Trailer Ammenities and races regularly for consistent lap times for the Bettys. Did not think twice to part out her husbands bike when any Betty was in need.

Beth Betty: Rides a KTM200, hails from Washington State, is the most "organized" Betty, kept the Betty's well fed and brought a suspension-handy Pit Hubby along for the ride. Oh yeah, also gives birth to ISDE Team USA Members. More on that later.

Tia Betty: Rides a KTM250rfs, hails from Idaho; was easily spotted racing on the wind-swept hills of Starvation Ridge with her unique Witches costume; Farms out her Dad's mechanical skills for Betty bike repairs, pulls consistent lap times for the team.

Sarah Betty: Youngest and Fastest Betty. Rides a KTM200. Daughter of Beth Betty. Has typical teen-age sarcastic attitude, but was forgiven due to wicked-fast lap times. Willing to pull additional laps so the older Bettys could sleep longer. Passes dudes on the course and returns to pit to brag.

Natalie Betty: Rides a KTM400, flew in from California. Brings faulty lighting systems and a bike with no headlight to a 24 hour race, but manages to remember the Captain Morgan.

I arrived at The Ridge in my rental car after having landed at the Portland Airport a couple of hours before. The Betty's were going to have a potluck that night after we all arrived, so I stopped at the Chevron Mini-Mart for Corn Chips and Bear Claws.

The first thing I did was track down my two friends Zac and Mark (Velosapiens), who had driven my KTM up from California. We imbibed in a Captain Morgan Cocktail before setting off to find the rest of the Betty's, who were scattered over The Ridge in their various trailers. I found Beth's trailer first, for she had carved a big Jack-O-Lantern with the Team Name "SHRED BETTYS" on the face and it was lit up and kind of spooky and cute!

I met the rest of Beth's family and found out that Beth's son Paul (Neff) was racing on one of the Pro Teams. Paul has been a member of Team USA at the ISDE 6-Day in both Brazil and Poland the past couple of years. I thought that was quite an accomplishment for an 18-year old. :worship:

The next morning, the race started at 10 AM. Sarah was leading off the Betty's. The Lemans start was fun to watch and I was proud of Sarah to see that she was third off the line of many racers. Sarah pulled 39 minute laps on the 15-mile course - PRETTY DARN FAST!! We were all impressed.

I was slated to ride 5th for the Betty's. Most of the Betty's were pulling in lap times of 41-45 minutes, I was worried that I would be slow as molasses but ended up clocking a 51 minute daytime lap. If you knew my lap times from last year, you'd understand why I was happy with that time.

The course was loads of FUN and I was smiling the whole time. Fresh grass track, whoops, a ditch sytem that reminded me of the Reno Pods (wheeeeeeee!), the infamous Farm House with three doorways to get through, the 50 yards of tight woods near the pond, the jumps, the waterbars, the wind-swept side hills, and this year...ROCKS!! I clocked one straight grass section at 52 miles an hour before I scared myself and backed off. The track was well-marked and there was lots of room to pass or be passed safely. What a fun track!

Back at the pits, the other Women's Team (Over the Bars Gang Ladies) were camped right next to the Betty's. They looked ominous and speedy. I tried to introduce myself to a couple of them and start some friendly banter, but they seemed really focussed on the race there was not much more interaction after that. We knew we were ahead of their times because of Sarah's speedy start, but they had strategized to send their two fastest ladies out more frequently to shave away the minutes.

I was worried that my night time lap times would let the Betty's down. Everyone was adding 2-5 minutes to their daytime laps during the night. Last year, I added a whopping 25 minutes to my daytime laps due to spodely troubles, so with anticipation and trepidations, I went out at midnight for my first laps in the dark. Cyclops had generously loaned me a helmet light and Kimberly Betty had pulled the headlight system off her husbands KTM so that I had enough lighting. I felt good, I had taken a three hour power nap and had hydrated sufficiently with water. Here I go! Gladly, I pulled night time laps of only 6 minutes longer than my daytime laps and had no troubles, no crashes at all. It must have been the power nap. I even passed a guy. Okay, he was broke down on the side of the track, but pass him I did. :nener:

Its awesome at night out there in the middle of nowhere. When the Pro team would pass you, it was almost like a freight train coming out of nowhere and then gone the next instant. I wondered how anyone could get that fast, it was incredible. Everyone was out there having a good time as well. I'd get passed by a faster guy and we'd both holler "Whooooo-hoooooo!!!" as we transitioned. I think everyone out on that course had a big smile on their face. I know I did.

After the race was over, the Bettys did not know if we had retained our title, as it was clear the OTBG Ladies had been working hard all night shaving off lap times to catch up. In the end, we were victorious, but my hat goes off to the other team, it was not a cake walk by any means and it was a dual to the end. I have not seen the official race times, but we heard the 24 hour race was won by less than 5 minutes. EVERY MINUTE COUNTED!!

I met a lot of new people this year. I especially remember the guys down Pit Row who I met when I accidentally walked into their trailer, thinking it was Zac and Mark's Tahoe Toy Hauler. I had rolled my bike back to their trailer so they could load it for the trip back to Cali. I nodded to the men sitting under the EZ up then confidently walked into the trailer. "HMMMMMM, this doesn't look familiar," I thought to myself, just as a nice guy walked in behind me. After a few embarrassing moments where I figured out this wasn't Zac's trailer, I made some new friends as we laughed at my silly brain-tired mistake. ;)

Time to head back to the airport, another 24-hour event behind me. This is the most fun race I've ever entered and I had so much fun with my Betty Girls.

I love all the Bettys!!!! WE ROCK!! :aj:

And a super special thanks to our Pit Crew: Alan, Scott, Stan, Kurt, Linnet, and also to Cyclops for sponsoring our lighting!

Last edited:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Congrats on keeping that title! I remember last years report and it sounds like you've found yourself an annual ride for many years to come. :cool:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I feel like I was there.

I'm betting I can dig up some sattelite pics of the race . . . somewhere . . . ;)

Chainshot

Oct 23, 2004
Worked wonders. It's nice because even when you are cresting a hill or something and your headlight's pointed at the sky you can still see where you're going. Heh heh

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
XRpredator said:
I'm betting I can dig up some sattelite pics of the race . . . somewhere . . . ;)

Yes, Pred a Sattellite pic of the Betty's would be good. ;)

I'm sure could see from outerspace the Shred Betty Witch Costumes on KTM's. And there was one view (When the fog and clouds cleared away) of Sarah Betty (aka Chainshot) passing lots of dudes on the trail. I think she roosted 'em too.

I sense a Predcasso in the works..... :yeehaw:

Thumbs, I got to borrow the Cyclops light and it worked really well. I also had a higher voltage headlight on my KTM which worked wonders as well. My friend Mark got his Cyclops ripped off the velcro on top of his helmet when he got tangled up in the low hanging woods branches, and he had to roll the bike back to get unhooked. Other than that, one battery pack lasts about an hour, so we duct-taped two together and connected them to make sure they lasted at least an hour and a half for two laps (roughly 80 minutes for Sarah, I was out there for longer and they held up fine) :worship:

Chainshot

Oct 23, 2004
Well the only time I had problems was the last half or so of my third lap on Sunday morning. but by that time I knew the course well enough that I didn't need to see where I was going ;)

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
It must be nice to just pack up and fly to a race, knowing your underlings will have your machine delivered. What's next, having a Captain Morgan in a fancy highball glass with ice?

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
kelsorat said:
It must be nice to just pack up and fly to a race, knowing your underlings will have your machine delivered. What's next, having a Captain Morgan in a fancy highball glass with ice?

Hey kelsorat! Actually, with the temps around 35F, ice was a sparse commodity!! No one really needed it and most everyone was drinking beer anyway. Imagine that!! For my cocktail hour, I had to buy two cups of ice off the Coffee Hut lady (She makes iced coffee concoctions too).

I woulda flown down to Kennedy Meadows this past July 4th, but Farmer John is such a spicy conversationalist, I decided to drive with him instead. ;)

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Congrats to all of you. Great ride report.

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
Great story Nat. It's just great that you have time to travel and race. Just being able to sample some terrain other than Cali is a luxury.

Top Bottom