May 8, 2007
Hey there...
I am new all around. Have been considering getting a bike for a while and finally gonna go ahead and do it. I have lots of friends who ride, but they all try to get me to look at bikes which I think are way too much for a beginner.

Any suggestions? I am pretty 5-4 with really short legs... I want something which I can easily manuver and also which I can register and slap a plate on.

I want something I can grow with if you will, but of course know I will upgrade as soon as I feel I have outgrown the bike.

Currently my friend is trying to get me on a 2002 KTM 520MXC.

Thoughts, suggestions...

_ghostman

Mar 14, 2004
KTM 400 450
Just train to get a good balance and then jump off the bike if your legs are too short, i don't know. Try it out.
No point in getting a small bike just because it is your first. The smaller once are not necessarily easier to drive you know.

zero_it

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2000
Your ability to slap a license plate on a dirt bike is very dependent on what state you live in. Here in over-regulated Washington you'd be pretty screwed. Head next door to motorcycle-friendly Idaho and they'll give a plate for anything, sight unseen.

The bike you choose needs to fit your riding ability, physical size, strength and what you wish to do with it. It's very hard to suggest a motorcycle to anyone without knowing these things. However, if this is your first bike, don't expect to own it very long. My suggestion is to get something tame and small, learn to ride it well, build your confidence and then but something bigger and more versatile.

Best of luck to you.

Lori

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
zero_it said:
Your ability to slap a license plate on a dirt bike is very dependent on what state you live in. Here in over-regulated Washington you'd be pretty screwed. Head next door to motorcycle-friendly Idaho and they'll give a plate for anything, sight unseen.
got one on my 04 525EXC :)

Bakemono

Apr 21, 2007
I wouldnt suggest starting out on a 450 or 525.
If it were me, Id start out on a CRF230F or a TT-R 230. They are a lower to the ground than a normal dirtbike and the mellow powerband should make them good for you to start out on.

blndebmbr

Apr 9, 2007
^I have to say I agree with this. Both (230's) are air cooled four strokes which makes easy power. They are not at all intimidating and are decently sized so the average adult is not eating their knee caps.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I see that you want a plate, but I do not recommend riding on the road until you have a good bit of riding experience. That being said, the 230s would be good bikes to learn on.

Apr 30, 2007
It makes me giggle a little that the name of the thread is "sick of guys advice" and yet guys have posted their advice here!!

I would have to say that it depends, are you 15 and about to grow five more inches in the next two years (one of the chicks I grew up with did this)?

I'm 5'2" - I recently sat on a CRF 230, and wished I could have taken it on the spot even though it was a stretch to reach the ground. From what I've heard they are great mid bikes with gentle power, that should last for quite a while!

I'd suggest that you go to a dealer or two, and sit on a bunch of the bikes to see which feels best.

zero-it is right, the license plate and reg. are completely dependent on where you live. In MN, it's pretty expensive (300 or so) to make an offroad bike legal. Whereas in ID it's a free for all as far as roads go (nearly)!

May 8, 2007
I guess I should have written that I was sick of the advice I am getting from the guys I know around these parts.

I am 5-4 and in my 30s, kinda late to the game I suppose, but hey, life isn't over yet new adventures all the time.

I would like to make it street legal although I plan to ride around a lot first to get practice.

I have tried the 230s, I guess I should say my legs are only 28.5 inches long. It was a reach. The guy suggested a 150 instead, but I have been advised to not get a 2-stroke. Ugh, I feel so overwhelmed, I need women rider friends around my neck of the woods.

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
In your thirties and late to the game? That is so funny.

You're not late unless the game's over. Simple as that.

I'm 5'8", with long enough legs and I drive a 125ttr (on the dirt) and a 200 enduro (dual sport) on the road. The only advantage to a bigger bike is that on the road the wind really grabs you above 50 mph... The extra weight in that case would be welcome. I find my 200 too light on the road, but it would probably be too heavy for me and my inexperienced ways on the dirt, at present. One salesman tried to talk me into a Very Tall Green Machine. I was fortunate enough to have someone answer my very tedious questions... and.. that person was NOT a salesperson. That person highly highly highly recommended a lighter (smaller) bike for off-road in the event you need to push it back to civilization or up a hill. That advice was invaluable to me. Mine has plenty of power for trail riding and hills.

As to 2 versus 4 stroke, I have an opinion, but the masses here are infinitely knowledgeable and filled with really good expertise. (4 unless you have someone to adjust the valves regularly.

I'd strongly recommend you take your time, get the knowledge you need.

Have you taken any motorcycle training courses (off-road or on)? I'd recommend both.

Perhaps you could fill out the questionnaire that is available and repost your request under the "what bike to get" section? The questionnaire will help guide you thru things to think about.

(Can someone (moderator) direct her to that tidy little questionnaire??) Look for the sticky under "what bike do I get" forum.

My personal feeling is "don't grow into" the bike with "experience". Buy something you can handle and feel comfortable controlling. Trade up when you are ready for something you need to "jump off of" or when you want the power of the devil in your engine. Just an opinion.

Last edited:

THORmx_nucca

Apr 15, 2007
captainulysses said:
I have tried the 230s, I guess I should say my legs are only 28.5 inches long. It was a reach. The guy suggested a 150 instead, but I have been advised to not get a 2-stroke. Ugh, I feel so overwhelmed, I need women rider friends around my neck of the woods.

150's aren't two-strokes... They're four. And why not a two-stroke? They're the elite of all dirt bikes. =D
But otherwise, yes a CRF230X would be a great trail bike.

CRF150F's are great beginner trail bikes too. Very low maintenance.

I have one for sale if you're interested.. an '05 with no damage at all. Perfect condition. I was too scared to ride it through water that was more than 5 inches deep. We have a service plan on it, regularly oil changed, cleaned, etc. Not ridden hard, I outgrew it and got a bigger bike. =D (it's a fun bike)

The only trail bike you can ride stock (KTM you have to get a new pipe with spark arrestor and mess with a little jetting, and Yamaha you have to mess with lots of jetting) =D

Oh.. and BTW you can get the seat shaved. It makes it a few inches shorter.

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
Everyday I see more and more posts of this type
I am X years old and want a dirtbike what do you think I should look for?
As glad as I am that you value forum members opinions I wish you would include more info so they can give you an opinion instead of putting up this answer We need more info to help

Try to include the following info in your first post
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
4) Do you have any riding experience?
5) Do you think you will race ?
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
10) Do you live in California?
11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

This info won't guarentee a perfect bike choice but it will sure stear the answers you get closer to the ideal bike.

This post comes from the "what bike do I get" forum.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
captainulysses said:
I guess I should have written that I was sick of the advice I am getting from the guys I know around these parts.

I am 5-4 and in my 30s, kinda late to the game I suppose, but hey, life isn't over yet new adventures all the time.

I would like to make it street legal although I plan to ride around a lot first to get practice.

As mentioned, check out the sticky at the top of this forum.

You sound not very confident, so probably want to look at a Yamaha TTR125, Honda CRF150F (not the R, as it's the race bike & aimed at a different market from the F), Honda CRF230, Yamaha TTR230, Suzuki DRZ125, Kawasaki KLX125 - all four strokes. For two strokes, check out Kawasaki KX80/100, Suzuki RM80/100. The TTR, DRZ, KLX125's all come in big & small wheels (well, they do here), so there's a few different sizes. The CRF150 is one size only, as are the 230's.

You need to go to a shop to try some on for size. The benefit of the TTR125 & CRF150's is the fact they come with electric start (older ones don't always & I think some new TTR's don't either). Whilst they are easy to kick over, when you drop it, flood it, it's not always that easy & is a good way to exhaust yourself without riding far, especially when learning/dropping it often.

But do check out Firecracker's post about what first bike as well & have a read through some of the older posts - there really is plenty of info around.

I started riding in my 30's, and it's been a huge addiction, plus I've made plenty of really good friends through it.
Good luck in your search :)

fit04

Apr 9, 2007
I agree with the rest here...I believe the 450's and bigger are way to big and not needed. I personally enjoy a Honda xr200-250 for 4 stroke or a Kawasaki KDX 200-220 for two stroke. It also depends what you are riding...you have to consider if its tight trails in the woods or open desert trails. A lot of research needs to be done. Right now I have a Suzuki 1986 dr200...usually older bikes are shorter so it works out well for me. I'm 5'6 and I have to constantly touch the ground since I go on technical/tight trails.

May 10, 2007
i would look at the crf150r.

its a little smaller then the 230.

it might be a little small.... im 14 and am looking to but a new bike after 1 1/2 on it.

its nice cuz its liquid cooled and a 4stroke. it has good power cuz its an mx bike. handles well and is not too heavy ( i say that cuz compared to the 150f its 40 pounds lighter but still pretty heavy...)

that or you may want to go with a crf250x (sorry im a honda guy but the yamaha's are good too) it has good power liquid cooled but the seat is higher then the 230.

the 230 is good too. i have never riden one but have friends that have and they love em. they have good power not too crazy or all in one place. its distributed.

i would agree with whoever said not to get a 2 stroke. they come with a lot of work. mixing fuel (not that bad but it can be expensive having to buy the oil) and chances are you will be getting to know your top end a lot better.

trailqueen

Dec 30, 2006
Before I offer my suggestions, I feel you owe 'the guys' an apology for the title of your thread. I depend on their advice and it's always dispensed with the best of intentions. That being said . . .

I started on a TTR 230 and it's a tank. I had it for 2 weeks and took the depreciation hit to trade it in for a 150F. The TTR is great for open fire/loggong roads, but if you take it on any type of tight trails and drop it, you'll have to pick it back up. Loading it on and off my pickup was a pain as well.

The 150F was a bit small but it served it's purpose well for two seasons. I traded up to a KTM 200 xc-w 2 stroke six months ago and couldn't be happier. It's light, nimble and a blast to ride through the woods!!!!!.

So my suggestions are- stay away from the 230's. They're dependable and easy to ride, but they're WAY heavy. Try the 150F- 32.? seat height, the Kawasaki KLX300- 36.4" seat height, (both 4 strokes) or the KTM 200 (a 2 stroke) or XCF-W 250 (a 4 stroke). both KTM's have a 36.4" seat height. Good luck! :ride:

(btw - I'm 5'8 and 150 lbs and 50 years old.)

Top Bottom