siezed piston;scratched cylinder wall;?

CRooster1254

Dec 29, 2005
:( After about 3 weeks after purchasing a mint condition cr125 '00, my friend took my bike for a quick ride around the block; :ride: he filled it with gas only. dummie. :bang: :blah: long story short; the piston got siezed. So far I've removed the cylinder jug and carefully freed the piston. The piston seems fine cause it only has minor scratches on the bottom in two spots going no higher than 1/5 up from bottom skirt area. I'm assuming that can be polished up as long as no fracture is present. What I need advice on is the cylinder wall. the piston created some light scratches spanning only on about 1/3 of the way around, lining up almost evenly towards the front of the cylinder jug(exhaust side). They span vertically from about an inch from bottom of cylinder jug to the exhaust port. Not horribly bad. Just mere surface hairline mini cuts/gouging what ever you call it. Where would you if in my position go from here. new cylinder jug?; buy a cylinder hone, try polishing it out?; keep the piston? ; cylinder sleeve?

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
I would take it to a qualified machine shop and get it honed. If they cant hone out the scratches I would send it to Eric and get a 144 :) . Probably wouldnt be too much more then a new jug.

Flummo

Oct 9, 2001
Many times the cylinder is undamaged, and what looks like damage actually is aluminium from the piston smeared on the cylinder wall. There are a few methods for removing it, using acid (HCl) is one of them.

QKENUF4U

Nov 13, 2005
ball hone it to see if ya can remove the scratches/clean it up a bit
new piston/rings/pin/bearing since your already there and its a 00 125

if ya can get a good cross-hatch with the ball hone and the marks are very very light then you should be fine to put it back together with new piston etc. its a 125 so your not gonna notice that much power loss (if any)

Top Bottom