MuddyBuddy

Nov 1, 2006
Has anyone seen any signage going up yet on the trails referenced below that were designated as MC only on 5/9/08? If not, please contact the DNR office in the area responsible for those trails and let them know of your concern; ask questions as to when signage will go up and what progress is being made in that regard.

Signage is a very important step and will benefit and help all trail users, two and four wheeled. I suspect a lot of ATV riders still riding the MC only trails have no idea that they are now not supposed to be on them and would not do so with proper signage. I also think that a large percentage of ATV riders will honor the signage and stay off those trails properly marked MC only. There will be bad apples who continue to use trails they shouldn’t, and hopefully only the bad apples will be ticketed. Here is a link for the various offices throughout the state: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_10389_39013-21107--,00.html

Also, has anyone talked to ATV riders they encounter on MC only trails? I have and the reception has been fairly well received. The DNR is short staffed because of budget constraints and us talking to the ATV riders in a polite and non-confrontational manner helps spread the word. Just let them know, nothing more, nothing less.

Thanks everyone and please get involved. If you can, volunteer to help local chapters responsible for trail maintenance or try and help in any way you can. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m very proud of the trails in our area and my husband and I do all we can to help preserve and maintain them.

(a) North Missaukee motorcycle trail (formerly the northern portion of the north Missaukee trail) located in parts of Kalkaska and Missaukee counties as follows: western segment commencing in section 3, T24N, R07W and ending in section 34, T25N, R06W and eastern segment commencing in section 2, T24N, R06W and also ending in Section 2, T24N, R06W as signed on the trail.
(b) Tin cup spring motorcycle trail (formerly known as tin cup spring trail) located in Lake county.
(c) Little Manistee motorcycle trail (formerly known as little Manistee trail) located in Lake county.
(d) Evart motorcycle trail located in Osceola county.
(e) Long lake motorcycle trail located in Wexford county.
(f) Lincoln hills motorcycle trail (formerly known as Lincoln hills trail) located in Lake county.
(g) Grand Traverse motorcycle trail located in Grand Traverse county.
(h) Hunt creek motorcycle trail (formerly known as hunt creek trail) located in Montmorency and OSCODA counties.
(i) Tomahawk motorcycle trail B & C located in Emmet, Charlevoix and Cheboygan counties.
(j) Brevort – trout lake motorcycle trail located in Chippewa and Mackinac counties.
(k) Kinross motorcycle rail located in Chippewa county.
(l) Foreman lake motorcycle trail located in Chippewa county.
(m) Birch hill motorcycle trail located in Chippewa county.
(n) Sandtown motorcycle trail located in Mackinac and Luce counties.
(o) Newberry – Rexton motorcycle trail located in Mackinac and Luce counties.
(p) Porterfield lake motorcycle trail located in Marquette county.
(q) Bass lake motorcycle trail located in Marquette county.

Last edited:

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
Signs *should* be going up soon. The MDNR just forwarded information to the MC trail maintenence sponsors regarding new signage. There will be signs indicating "Motorcycle Only" at the entrance of each trail and at trail access points. A copy of the Directors Order will be (or is already) posted in the information kiosks at each trailhead. All trails will be marked with the orange confidence triangles with motorcycle logos.
I'm hoping this is accomplished prior to Labor Day weekend. Big thanks to MC trail maintenance sponsors for their positive efforts to keep our single track trails in great shape!

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I do believe the North Missaukee has been re-marked with motorcycle triangles and the M/C only signs will go up when available.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Muddy - I have not (yet) seen anything on Hunt Creek. BTW - it is in Montmorency and OSCODA county... not Osceloa

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
just rode Evart this past weekend - pleased to report the "NO Quad" signs are up in several places around the parking area.

Did notice several Quads running up and down the 2-tracks and roads while there (good luck with that since Evart is patrolled) but at least they were not on the trail while we were there.

also Thanks to whomever cut all those trees out - there were A LOT of trees down in that storm. even the pictures didn't do it justice as much as riding thru the downed trees - and also a BIG THANK YOU for keeping it single track instead of widening it out - the new trail is NICE!

MuddyBuddy

Nov 1, 2006
Here's an email response I got from the DNR:

Dear Ms. Pain in our Rear:

"Thank you for your concern regarding the ATV use on the now "official" motorcycle only trails. I agree that increased, highly visible signs are needed to help educate users. In fact, I just received a shipment of "Notice: Motorcycles Only Beyond This Point" signs that will be posted within the next few weeks at major intersections and access points for the B and C Loops. The Director's Order has already been posted at the trailhead on Springvale Road but the fact of the matter is, not every rider parks there.

Law Enforcement Division has suggested to me that they will be using more warnings than citations regarding the Director's Order at least for this riding season. There will be a learning curve in directing the ATV use to the A Loop and the newly signed ORV Route in the A loop vicinity. Please refer to www.michigan.gov/dnr for the most up-to-date maps for the Tomahawk system. Word of mouth from rider to rider is going to be the most effective way of getting the word out as far as which vehicles belong on which trails. I appreciate your interest in Michigan's Trails and will be keeping your contact information for future use.

Sincerely,

...."

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
At least they are working toward getting it done.
Thanks Ms.PIOR :yikes:

MuddyBuddy

Nov 1, 2006
We got signs and they went up this past weekend - need more though. Already saw tracks from quads that had started down sections of the trail newly marked who then backed up and turned around.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom