Silencer packing

yam 3

May 19, 2000
I was wondering if blown packing would make a bike run leaner due to less backpressure to the cyclinder? If not then what does more packing help with besides sound levels? Looking for how does fresh packing effect performance.

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
Blown silencer packing will usually make the revs break-up early. Thats because of excess turbulence in the tail-pipe, effectively blocking the flow. So I suppose that it would make the jetting seem rich because the revs are breaking up early, but if you lean the main jet, you'll probably burn a hole in the center of the piston crown. You see the blown packing causes turbulence and a flow problem which makes the piston crown run hotter, less fuel to cool the piston will push it to the melting point.
Small displacement bikes require more frequent service of the packing material. Try the Silent Sport brand of packing material, you can buy it in a bag, enough for a few packing changes.
Good luck

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Check the Dyno link below. The sniffer we had in the tail pipe confirms what Eric said. With the packing blown out the bike ran richer.

Dyno

Last edited:

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
380EXCman, even though I use Silent Sport, when servicing my silencers the packing is always blown through in the areas of the unevenness of the loose fill. The pillow pack method is better but still leaves gaps along the silencer core. While Silent Sport is a long lasting packing, I believe it has a bit of a performance problem also, as it does not promote an important even core pressure. I think I'll try some Performax. I have some dyno time upcoming and if time allows I'll test Silent Sport vs Performax. :thumb:   

yam 3

May 19, 2000
Thanks for the great responses. Just one more bit of info to add to the ole brain bucket.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…