Fox_Pilot_101

Feb 26, 2001
hi i have a 99 kx100 and i noticed when i land my sliencer hits my rear tire, i was wondering if it would be ok to just heat up the section of the silencer after where the pipe and silencer meet and bend it back closer to the side panel?

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Are you just lightly brushing it or really slamming it? Is it the correct silencer for your bike?

If it's lightly hitting it and its the correct silencer, try moving it out with some washers and see if that helps. If that's not enough, the dent it in a little but not too much or you wont be able to get the core out.

Hope that helps.

Fox_Pilot_101

Feb 26, 2001
hmmmm

what do you mean move it out with some washers? i think its just brushing it, i can see on all the knobs on the left side where there worn down, and every lap theres a new mark there, what do u mean the core might not be able to get out? this guy at the track a 2000 rm125 with bills pipes and he had to do it too with a torch he said his was fine.

thanks a lot mike

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I mean put some washers inbetween it and where it bolts up to the frame that way the silencer will move out to the right and give the tire a little more room.

As fart as the core. If you dent the outer casing of the silencer, make sure it doesn't hit the inner core. If it does hit the core, you might not be able to remove it to repack it.

If you have anymore questions just post them and I'll try to walk you through it.

Fox_Pilot_101

Feb 26, 2001
no....

no yuo had me wrong, my silencers on the left side, it needs to go left up against the side panel. at the back right after the silencer goes skinny, i just need to heat that spot up and move the hole big part to the left, i think ill be alright?:think

thanks ahead

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Sorry, most of the bigger bikes have the silencers on the right. Ya, you should be OK heating the tab and moving it a little.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Just bend the mounting tab that the silencer mounts to, the part that sticks off of the frame with the hole in it for the silencer mounting bolt.

Fox_Pilot_101

Feb 26, 2001
no..

that wouldnt do anything, it would bend, the silencer would stay, i have to heat the part after where the pipe and silencer meet, then bend or twist that, if i know what your talking bout.:think

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
jusk don't kink it©

I can't see it hurting much© I'd do the heating part a bit further up the pipe from the silencer, to keep it a clean bend© you might want to check the frame to make sure it not bent, first©

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Fox, I'd say if you are using a stock silencer and stock size rear tire and its still hitting the silencer, then you have something major screwed up with your bike. Kawasaki isn't going to let a bike with a defect like that get out to the public.

Anyway, The tab I'm talking about is this, and I can't make my explanation more simple than this. When you mount the silencer on the bike, you slide it on to the pipe end and then bolt it to the bike. The tab I'm talking about is the piece of metal on the silencer you put the bolt through. Simple as that..

Do U get me?

Fox_Pilot_101

Feb 26, 2001
yeah...

yeah i get you but bending that tab wont move the silencer body, and no it probably didnt come like that, but it does get hot, so i imagine if you crash and hit the right place, its easy to bend.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Your subframe may be bent, or your rear wheel may be out of alignment. Check the alignment marks on the swingarm to make sure your rear axle is straight in line with the rest of the bike. If it is, stand back from the bike to see if your rear fender is sitting flat and not 'leaning' to either side.. If the rear subframe were tweaked/bent from a fall, it could cause the silencer to be pushed over in the path of the tire.

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
Just bend the little mounting tab on the silencer. It WILL move the silencer body more to the left. Chances are that it just needs to be moved few mm to the side. My friend had a 2000 KX100, which is the same exact bike except for the year, and it didn't have this problem. I bet your mount is the part that is bent, causing the tire to hit it. And the tabs will still line up as long as you don't bend them too drastically.

Fox_Pilot_101

Feb 26, 2001
i did it

i bent the actual pipe tonight and it worked just fine, im pretty sure it wont hit now i got my dads fat ass on the bike and he pushed it down, it was so funny he was almost at the end of the suspension, and im sure it wont hit now, thanks for all the help guys;)

cr125_king

Apr 2, 2001
My silencer hits too!

On my bike i cant even put a 130(wide) Michelin on or else it will rub to bad.My 120 michelin just brushes on the silencer, but i'd like to put a 130 on my bike. Should i do the same as described on this thread?

Top Bottom