Silicone for silencer repacking/exhaust leak

jtricer1973

Jul 4, 2005
Hey guys, I am going to get some 4 inch pipe fiberglass this evening to repack my silencer and was wondering if I need silicone. If so what type and where do I need to put it?
Also, I have a bad exhaust leak where the pipe connects to the silencer. How do I fix this? With silicone? Would this leak affect anything?
Oh, and its a FMF gold pipe and FMF silencer.

Thanks

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
jtricer1973 said:
...and was wondering if I need silicone. If so what type and where do I need to put it?

I use the red hi-temp on all internal/external intersections. For example, where the end cap is inserted.

jtricer1973 said:
Also, I have a bad exhaust leak where the pipe connects to the silencer. How do I fix this?

A hose clamp usually does the trick. Is the pipe damaged in such a way there there is a poor fitment between the pipe ad the silencer?

jtricer1973

Jul 4, 2005
No, I don't believe there is any damage,it just isn't sealed in any way, just slipped together. It looks to be a poor fit though and you can definately see smoke and spooge coming out of it.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Some bikes have a rubber adaptor piece that seals the silencer and pipe junction. You may be missing it.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom