kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
Just read some interesting stuff, dont know if anyone else has heard but:

As reported over the weekend, the silly season is in full swing. Andrew McFarlane to Yamaha UK on a 250F, Mickael Maschio to stay and ride Kawa´s new little four-stroke, Johnny Aubert to America. Mike Brown a possibility at CAS Honda.

KTM´s MX2 factory riders are certainly de Reuver, Ben Townley and Rattray. The orange MX1 team will be Steve Ramon and probably Kenneth Gundersen. Joel Smets´ name is often mentioned in conjunction with Aprilia, but would the Austrians really let that happen? Talks with Honda never went very far - they say.

Yamaha Rinaldi is set with Stefan Everts and Cedric Melotte, Suzuki will be Mickael Pichon and Kevin Strijbos. CAS is confirmed with Josh Coppins and Yoshi Atsuta.

Kawasaki will probably not have a competitive 450F early on and does loose both its MXGP riders. Claudio Federici will move down, too, and be on a Yamaha 250F. Looks like Suzuki will not field a MX2 factory rider due to budget limitations.

Eggens, Alessio Chiodi, Stephen Sword, Andrea Bartolini, James Dobb and Gordon Crockard had not signed on any dotted line as of Sunday night. Javier Garcia Vico and Yves Demaria could ride for KTM in the 650 class (or whatever the name will be). Will they want that?

Still the details of the championship have to be determined, but it is going to run alongside the 125 European Champs. That´ll mean four motos, unlimited entries, 10-12 rounds. An agreement between Youthstream and the UEM will be signed shortly.

Giuseppe Luongo and his staff will come to Gaildorf. Afterwards, an update on the state of next year´s World Championship will become available. As Youthstream keeps targetting towards 16 rounds, the framework remains: 32-40 riders in MX1, 50 riders in MX2, four motos on Sunday afternoon, qualifying motos on Saturday in MX2.

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
Yeah 2 motos per class, MX1 is the MXGP class - 250 2's and 450 4's, and MX2 is 125 2's and 250 4's. Its the same promoter as the world supermoto, which he calls S1 and S2, S1 being unlimited class and the permier class and S2 the 450 class, like the 125's a stepping stone class.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
I thought Brown learned his lesson with that Honda team. Or was it another? CAS stands for...??? Is he going to ride a 125?

Excuse all the ignorant questions. I'd like to see Brown ride a thumper in MXGP class and see what he could do against Everts, Smets and Pichon.

Sorry I don't know more about the other guys. We get little if any coverage here, and I would like to see at least 1 or 2 rounds of the world MXGP be run over here--provided of course Bubba or Carmichael could highjack the series for a few races. :p

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
CAS honda is run by a bloke called Harry Ainsworth-he runs a scaffolding company and had 2 sons actively involved in MX-both used to race in the same area as me(ive known them most of my mx life).Unfortunatly one was killed a few years ago at a SX meeting, i was there and it was a very sad day for us all, only a few weeks before he nearly qualified for a GP.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
neph

I doubt Brown would do very well against Everts or Smets. He is not exactly a top tier 250 rider here. If he was in our 250 class, I can't see him placing much higher than 6th through 10th. I count all of these guys as faster than him. Everts would be a top 5 guy here.

RC
Kdub
Reed
Ferry
Rock
DV

And I would question him being able to beat even guys like Ward, Lusk, and Lewis. Thats why he stays in the 125 class, he would have a tough time making the top 10 in 250's. I just never counted him as all that talented, unless you are comparing to me of course.

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
Silly season isnt just for the riders in europe, its for the teams as well sorting out where they'll be going next year, well here's anohter bit of info:

The MSC Lichtenvoorde has signed an agreement to hold a Motocross Grand Prix next year.

The event will be held either in May or June and be one of 4-5 meetings in the Benelux area. A look at the provisional calendar issued two month ago suggests it could be on 6 June.

Lichtenvoorde last welcomed World Motocross in 1996. Sebastien Tortelli won the Dutch 125 Grand Prix back then.

Top Bottom