single ring vs double ring piston

bbilliot

Oct 25, 2002
Which is better and why? Bud Racing offers an single ring piston for the KX85 and I was wondering what's the benefit.

Thanks

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
a single ring could have less drag, the piston lighter and possibly less compression favoring high rpm and quicker rev building. A two ring piston could have better sealing helping out torque.

only a guess

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
There is a lot of torque about talk.

What you are trying to imply is torque = midrange or a wider power spread.
We’ll skip over the misconstruesion & run with it.

High speed engines generally run one ring. Above ~8000 rpm it is reckoned that the 2nd ring is just adding drag & not aiding piston to cylinder sealing. Below that the 2nd ring is presumed to be worthwhile.

In the absence of specific tests on this setup, one might presume that an expert rider on high speed tracks & preferably a top end tuned bike would benefit more than trail riding use.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
actually I was not trying to imply anything about low rpm= torque. Although the things that help torque tend to favor low rpm, or is it things that favor low rpm tend to help torque? Anyway, things that favor torque; high compression ,less cam overlap, later port timing...... don't really help high rpm.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
2 rings helps blow by, one ring, less drag. I noticed that my kids 125, at the time came with single ring pistons, my 250 came with double rings. Double rings therefore help with containing the torque by not allowing blow by. Am I on the right track?:)

125 rider

Sponsoring Member
Oct 1, 2000
Double rings are used in bigger bore bikes that dont turn as many rpms. I dont think two rings increase compression, but will hold compression longer increasing time between rebuilds.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…