gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
I got this problem. twice a year, when the leaves come out, and when the leaves fall, my nose........ flows. :bang: I have tried claritin, and helps a little, and tried nose sprays, and other so called hismals, with no help. If it keeps running its course, it's gonna be a full blown sinus infection about thursday of next week. my doctor is old fashion, and wanted me to come in, and see him, but I am tired of the run around with this problem, and if he would look at the charts, he would see what I have been having this complaint twice a year, every year meaning, it's a pattern. Fifteen years I have been dealing with this, and It would be nice to evade a Z-pak, if I could.
Anybody got any REAL suggestions on how to deal with this allergy? Any help is appreciated :worship:
Yeah, it's an odd post, but I am desperate!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
First of all, the leaves arent falling here yet.... it's like the middle of an Illinois summer... that being said, grass and mold is pretty high right now. My bad spell was about a month ago.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Ok, here's what you do. Take a Claritin, AND a 12 hour suphedrine (pseudoephidrine hydrochloride). Tack on the nasal spray, too if necessary. But the Claritin and the suphedrine have different ingredients, and work well in combination. And it's safe-- so says Dave's allergist-- and we've been doing it for a couple years.
You may also want to try special "sinus" versions of the allergy medicine, but most of those just have acetaminophen for the headache part.

Good luck!

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
gnarlykaw said:
IAnybody got any REAL suggestions on how to deal with this allergy?

You could always move to the Moonrocks area. :p

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
As somebody that has allergies severe enough that I used to take shots weekly, claritin works ok but not the best. Tavist D still works the best for me, but puts me out (so I take it @ night). For daytime 2 Advil Cold and Sinus clear me up, keeps me awake and works, as Lori said, with the Claritin.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
For years ater moving to where I live now, Central Tx, I sufferred with allergies. Like you, I had 2 major bouts a year with the begin of spring & toward the end of summer. I went to the doctor and got a steriod shot and kicked it's butt. Dr's don't like to give them but I was despirate. The last few years, especially while trying to play music & sing several times a week, which you can't do with a stopped up head, I started using a massager on my sinuses. I know it sounds crazy but it's worked very well. I use the "vibrator" on my head and all around my sinus tracks and end up on my nose which makes for a violent sneeze. Sorta loosens everything up. Once it's loose I will sometimes use saline solution but not often.
People think I'm nuts except the other singer in my band that has sinus problems. When it's time to perform, out comes the massager.

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
LOri, I like your way in "mixing" the meds, but IU have always been afraid to do this, plus, my work is physical, and I didn't want the side effects. I never really read the packages either. What has the suphedrine in it?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Allergy capitol of the world, Austin, Texas! Took shots for 4.5 years and it's A LOT better. Before they really took hold and even today when it get bad I've got a perscription for Duravent DA. Good stuff and doesn't have any bad side effects for me unless you count that third eye thing but, hey I'm not sneezing.

Jeff something about that description of a vibrator for your sinus's just cracks me up :rotfl:

GK look me up on Wednesday when I get there and I'll pass ya' a few if you want.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
gnarlykaw said:
LOri, I like your way in "mixing" the meds, but IU have always been afraid to do this, plus, my work is physical, and I didn't want the side effects. I never really read the packages either. What has the suphedrine in it?

Suphedrine is the generic name. Otherwise known as Sudafed. The main ingredient is psuedoephedrine hydrochloride. We usually just buy the Wal-Mart generic stuff, which is on the shelf right next to the Sudafed. The 12-hour works the best.
The only side effects I've noticed are dry mouth and a bit of light-headed feeling from the Sudafed. No drowsiness at all. If you're worried, try it on a weekend. And don't take it at night-- it will keep you awake!
Even Dave's allergist recommended mixing the different meds, because they all have different ingredients and don't interfere.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
OK, I have some very serious Spring/Fall allergies. He's my drug mix...it works...

Zyrtec 10mg (helps with watery eyes and scratchy throat)
Singular 10 mg (helps with wheezing & labored breathing that is brought on with allergies)
Flonase (helps with runny nose and swelling of nasal passages)

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
Gnarly,
Doc Mike says " I got a shot dat can fix dat ole problem" .

It is just too cool to bring your own doctor out riding. He is always good for a little stitching and mending. Randy busted his leg while floggin my 450 at the 24 hour race this year, you could see the bone in the shin. No problems Mike patched and sent him back out. :yeehaw: Randy then turned some of his fastest laps. I need me one of dem shots. :aj:

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Steroid shots are great but I can't get any docs to give them to me anymore. I got an prescription inhaler called Rhinocort that worked real well. Thankfully, my allergies have subsided a bit over the years.

Over the counter Nasalcrom works well for me too but it only lasts 4 hours.

Dewster

Feb 4, 2002
rv6junkie said:
Zyrtec 10mg (helps with watery eyes and scratchy throat)
Singular 10 mg (helps with wheezing & labored breathing that is brought on with allergies)
Flonase (helps with runny nose and swelling of nasal passages)

Ditto! Also, Claritin and Allegra work too. Get some Flonase, and use it directly after a hot shower at night. A hot shower usually opens you up and allows Flonase to do it's job.

Top Bottom