Ski Run Hare Scrambles, Donner 10-20-01

Dave Wood

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2000
Make plans to attend the Ski Run Hare Scrambles at Donner Ski Ranch, Norden, CA. on October 20, 2001. Round #9 of the AMA/D36 Moose Western Regional Cross Country series.

This years Ski Run Hare Scrambles will be part of the D36 Youth Cross Country series. Get the kids bikes ready, round 1 begins October 7th, at Metcalf Cycle Park.

Donner Ski Ranch is on private property, riders are NOT required to have a California GREEN or ORANGE sticker at this event.

One can enter in a few days, online at; www.ama-d36.org

Race flyers will be in the mail next week.

Dave Wood

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
Donner Ski Run & Jackhammer

Ok, Dave. Are you going to do both of these events? I am trying to figure out the travel logistics. Donner on Saturday, Jackhammer on Sunday. :think

I really want to do both. Anyone else considering this, and maybe we can hook up to mitigate the costs. One plan I have is to go up to Stonyford on Friday and set up camp, then trek up to Donner on Saturday with a return that day to get ready for Sunday's Jackhammer. Whew!

funktree

~SPONSOR~
Jul 21, 2001
I saw that tha website that dave linked to said that sound tests may be given. What decibal level should I shoot for just in case. Is a quiet core ina white bros on my 426 gonna be quiet enough?

funktree

~SPONSOR~
Jul 21, 2001
Hey dave I got another question. I dont have an ama or a d36 card. Is there an ama one day? If there isnt how long is my $39 card gonna be good for?

Dave Wood

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2000
Since I am a member of HSMC, I will be working the event, while everyone is out on the course having a great time.

I will be at the Jackhammer on Sunday.

A sound check is unlikely, but we do like quite bikes and I encourage you to get a quite muffler because it is the right thing to do. I have no idea how loud your muffler is? Quite is good. The facts are the loud 100db plus exhaust systems do not improve performance.

AMA cards are required, they cost $39.00 for one year.

D36 cards are not required, however a "one day" card is. Full membership is $25.00 for one year and a one day card is $10.00.

Your D36 membership supports a full time paid Legislative action officer, Bill Dart. I think you should support AMA because it works on our behalf on National issues, for example the roadless issue, import issues which could have had very negative implications and many other issues. Sure there not perfect, its easy to find fault, organizations strength comes from large numbers, AMA has about 100,000 to 120,000 members whos primary interest is off-road. When you consider that there are over 500,000 dirt bikes registered in California alone, for the most part, you have mainly, "racers" supporting motorized recreation. Those of us who ride off-road and choose not to support organizations like AMA and the Blue Ribbon Coalition are the real reason dirt riders have little political clot. Yet the non- members are the first to find fault. If you can afford a dirt bike, a vehicle to transport it to your favorite riding area or race, gear and all the other expenses associated with riding, spending a $100.00 a year on cards to support those who are working hard to protect and enhance our riding opportunities is not even a question in my mind. I love to ride dirt bikes and I will support the organizations who are supporting motorized recreation, whether I race or not.

D36 LAO, Bill Dart has a very long list of accomplishments working here in Northern California and Nevada. The two-stroke issue, Bill Dart was the point man on this issue, D36 spent over $50,000 dollars and we achieved a compromise, despite industry opposition. Bill attends every grants meeting (green sticker), making sure the dollars are allocated in our best interest. He is involved in issues regarding every OHV area in Northern California including snowmobile issues. Bill played a key role in defeating badly drafted legislation creating a "green sticker" program in Nevada. The list is very long and impressive. Half of your D36 membership goes to support the D36 legislative action office. If you love to ride dirt bikes like I do, one should be a member of AMA, Blue Ribbon Coalition and any local organization which is working on our behalf, like D36 does in Northern California/Nevada. Many other districts throughout the country have only volunteers doing there very best, but have very little funding (memberships) to afford a full time activist working on our behalf. There are over 200 full time paid environmentalist living in my county alone working hard to elimanate motorized recreation. Right now we have issues requiring a lawyer, yet because of lack of dollars (memberships), contributions and virtually zero industry support, D36 LAO is very limited on taking aggressive action.

I would hope, becoming a member, is not a decision one makes because your required to have a card to "race". You should want to be a member, because you enjoy motorized recreation and would like to see your grandchildren have the freedom of choice, to enjoy the great outdoors, as you have.

Hope to see you at Donner Ski Ranch.

Sincerely,
Dave Wood

funktree

~SPONSOR~
Jul 21, 2001
Is the ama card good for one year from date of purchase or til the end of 2001? Im sure D#^ is a good thing to have but Im already lookin at 40 to race 5 to get in, 5 to camp, 39 for ama, Im tryin to make this affordable

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
Donner-Elkins Flat

George,I would love to do this, but I am in pretty good position in the B/C championship in enduros. I can't miss one though, since I didn't ride the Sawmill. I'll look for you at Donner.

Are you taking Dave's class this weekend?

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
funktree,
Both AMA & D-36 cards are good for 12 months starting with purchase date. :)

Bigbird,
I am going to try to do both. I will probably leave Donner as soon as I can get my bike in the truck after my race. I hope the "B" race is done by 2:30 - 3:00, That would give me plenty of time to get to Stonyford & go over the CR.
I haven't looked at a map yet to see what route would be best.

Wonder if it will be as windy as last year. :scream:

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
Donner trip

FarmerJohn, are you going directly to Donner, then to Stoneyford? I am pulling a fifth-wheel trailer, and thought it might be best to set up camp with it in Stoneyford first, then head up to Donner for the H.S. with my bike in the truck rather than pull it all the way up to Donner, etc.

George, I am taking Dave's class this weekend. :)

Farmer John

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Jim,
Honestly I had not thought about it until this thread, but yeah, I will probably go straight to Donner, race, then go straight to Stonyford, do whatever the CR needs, & sleep in my truck (as usual).

Any possibility of dropping your camper somewhere along the way & then picking it up after Donner?

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
Donner Ski Run

Hmmm. Let me think about that. Just a little bit concerned about leaving my trailer somewhere I don't know will be secure. If I go to Stonyford on Friday, I have friends who will watch the trailer, and hopefully, I can get set up for the Jackhammer early. Then, I can just "commute" to Donner for the day, Saturday.

If I can coax you to "commute" with me, you're welcome to stay in our trailer Saturday night. It has all the comforts of home. :silly:

funktree

~SPONSOR~
Jul 21, 2001
thats good news on the ama cards. I still have a couple questions. Im sure this has been covered elsewhere on this site. What should I expect at this race? I raced MX for 5 years, its been at least five years since Ive done it. How does this type of racing differ from MX. Whats the format? are there 2 motos? And finally what are the classes like? Im gonna be riding a wr426, am I a 250C? A four stroke beginner?

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
You are either 4stroke or open class. Possibly Vet depending on your age. Vet's ride any size bike they want. One 1.5 to 2 hr "moto" for the race.

OLD STROKER

Feb 19, 2001
Stuck in Hawaii

Geeez! While all you guys are out there having a good time the next 2 weeks,I'll be stuck on a beach in Hawaii:)keeping the wife happy. You know you have to do this just prior to the race season starting.

Mudrider

Aug 29, 2000
I plan on going to both races.. I'm going to use my KTM 250 for the Ski Run Scrambles and then use my KTM 200 for the enduro. That way I don't have to wory about any maintenance.
Is there a chance that the Ski Run Srambles will be cancelled if there is no rain?

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
Donner

Aloha, Bob.

Mudrider, I was talking to someone this weekend at Dave's riding class. He said there is a chance that the race may be postponed to a later date if there is no rain prior to the date. BTW, what is your plan for doing both races?

Farmer John

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Weddings..........

Bigbird,
I will not be going to Donner.
The missus informed me that I am going to a wedding that day.
I told her that I already went to one with her & that should be enough. ;)

Top Bottom