Skid plate - recommendations

cat

May 3, 2005
I've been looking at the various skid plates available for the KDX. I'd prefer one that covers the sides of the engine / the waterpump (which excludes Works Connection), and I'd prefer it to mount without those hook/loop things (although I think that might not be possible because the KDX doesn't come with a skid plate?). So maybe the Moose skid plate?

Tom L

Dec 18, 2004
Make it yourself! It's alot cheaper and you get exactly what you want. I made one that comes up around the pipe to protect it. Nobody makes one like that.

cat

May 3, 2005
Good for you.! I wish I could. I thought of it last night, but I'd need my friend to weld it, I'd have to design it and measure and get the alloy, ..and it would take too long. The bike's new, it hasn't even been run in ... I'm just trying to get some time here and there to get it prepped, and I don't want to go riding without a skid plate. The guys I'll be riding with ...they do rocks and hills a lot. My friend (the welder/fabricator) just put a Hyde Developments skid plate on his new 200EXC. He said it saved the frame the first time out. (Hyde Developments is a local company (well, 400 miles away) that make plastic glide plates. Very strong, but not as wide as I'd like. And they're a bit more expensive than the $60 average price, even with the shipping from the US. I might go to the Yamaha dealer near to jme today and check them out, see how the hook/brackets look. Maybe the solution is to get one now, and then start organizing to make my own.

cat

May 3, 2005
Tom L said:
Make it yourself! It's alot cheaper and you get exactly what you want. I made one that comes up around the pipe to protect it. Nobody makes one like that.
hey, if you've got a camera, please take a few photos and email to me. i'd love to see it. epsecially how you handled the front end, with the pipe.

Top Bottom